Thread: Hog Hunter .223 and the 75 AMAX or go 75 HPBT?

Basic Member

Hog Hunter .223 and the 75 AMAX or go 75 HPBT?

So, I'm in process of upgrading my H.H. with a new stock, DBM and new scope and want to take it out to 800 yards or so for fun. I was wondering if anyone has used the 75 A-Max in the gun with success? I did a bunch of search and it appears the savage 1-9 seem to handle the amax's. They are on back order with no known date on arrival from Midway since they just started production of them again in January. I guess I'm wondering if since I have some time before the gun is actually back to shooting condition that I wait it out to try some and see if they even work or if I jump ship and go to the 75 HPBBT? I will want to use the load on critters up to Coyotes too. Thanks for the input!

PS COAL won't be a problem with the DBM I'm going with.

1:9 is pretty darn sketchy with 75gr A-Max.

I briefly had a 223 HH barrel, and 24.5gr Varget under a 75 A-Max shot just under 1" 5-shot group at 100 yards; I did not try it any further but the bullet holes in the target were round. That particular load wasn't for the HH barrel (which had a stupidly long freebore) but for another 223 I had at the time.

I was shooting in summer (close to 90F and 800' ASL elevation) so that probably helped.

Only way to know is to try them, but I wouldn't *expect* them to be stable. 75 HPBT, on the other hand, will be good to go.

Basic Member
    Thanks BoilerUP! I am at 3000' so that might help me a little bit, but I'd rather not spend the time and money trying to get it to work for 0.04 BC. and a maybe.

The BC improvement over the 75gr HPBT is much more than 0.04, regardless of Hornady's book numbers...

Basic Member
    I guess they probably fudge a little for sales... But either way, if it won't work, the 75 HPBT looks to be my best option.

Basic Member
    My HH shoots the 75HPBT well, but they will not feed using the DBM. Round runs fine from DBM but jams going into the chamber even with wide range of COAL. I think its something to do with the tip configuration, but have not been concerned enough to explore further. The 69SMK do fine, and they have shot well to 700yd.

Basic Member
    Not feeding isn't very fun... I was going to go with the PTG stealth DBM and polymer AI Mags. What set up do you have Charlie?

Basic Member
    I have CDI with polymer AI mags. As I said, it is not a mag feeding issue. The hollow point meplat (tip) of the HPBT is at least twice the diameter as the SMK and Berger, both of which feed fine. I think this bluntness causes the tip to catch on the chamber entry as the bolt is closing. I'm not sure what could be done since the polymer does not have adjustable lips; perhaps they could be filed to change the entry angle, but I'm reluctant to try that since it is ir-reversable. The HPBT do shoot decent and are widely available at a decent price.

Basic Member
    Ok, thanks for the info! I agree with not changing the chamber for just one bullet! Looks like I'll build the rifle before buying any bullets in anything bigger than 100's till I get what I want and I'll stay away from the A-Max's. I know it likes the SMKs and 70 VLDs but the price on the Hornady 75's I really like. Thanks again for the help guys!