Thread: My New McGowen 1 in 9 .223 Savage pre fit

Team Savage

My New McGowen 1 in 9 .223 Savage pre fit

Well I had a real hummer Savage factory barrel on a Low Profile single shot and no joke....it would still hold an inch after 10,000 rounds. But an inch wasn't all touching like it used to and so I lusted hard after a Shilen replacement barrel. But the wait...who wants to wait? After hearing a few happy things about McGowen and as they promised 1 week delivery I put in my order. And one week it was... from order to door.
    Barrel looked pretty good to the eye and install was effortless with no hint of the tight threads I've read about here. My first outing with a hodge podge of loads to experiment and break in with were ...well, disappointing .
    Today we tried again and she seemed a bit better until we came to a load of 23 grains of Vihta Vouri N 140 beneath Sierra HPBT Match 69s seated at 2.252 using LC brass. Well ...wowsa, call me happy . To me 10 round groups into a 30 cal. hole at 100 yds with a barrel with less than 150 rounds through it is a pretty good start .
    I would like to post here that I feel I received great service and a great product and have no doubts now that my money was well spent.

Thank you Mcgowen Barrels .... "you done good"

broncbob
    I have a fast twist .223 from them and a 6.5 CM, both of them are good shooters! Both clean with ease as well.