Thread: savage 110 rimfire conversion

6.5man

savage 110 rimfire conversion

I have a 110 action that's not in use at the moment, and was wondering if anyone has done any kind of conversion like this? Wat kind of modifications needed? Milling new bolt head, firing pin modifications, extractor, ejector? Any help/ideas would be appreciated

Basic Member
    It would take a whole different receiver, and a very different bolt. Essentially it's not a "conversion".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Why not put a 223 barrel on it and use an adapter made for that?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Or trade the 110 action for a .22
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

6.5man
    I already have several .22's and have built several custom rifles I shoot rimfire and high power silhouette matches and just wanted a different project to work on.. savage's version of a remington 40x is what I had in mind

the Ranger
    how about .22Hornet or one of it's various improved versions? you would still need a custom bolt head, and it would probably be a single shot only deal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5man View Post
    I already have several .22's and have built several custom rifles I shoot rimfire and high power silhouette matches and just wanted a different project to work on.. savage's version of a remington 40x is what I had in mind
    You mean like this little well kept secret....

Basic Member
    So how did it shoot?

Basic Member
    That's sick Fred! Custom receiver with as many Savage parts as possible!!

I can just about imagine the beating Fred is taking from Lisa about now.

Lisa: "You did what?"
    Fred: "I posted pictures of my rimfire prototype on the forum"
    Lisa: "Why on earth would you do that? Now everyone and their brother is going to be emailing me asking how they can get one!"
    Fred: "Well...some guy said he wanted a Savage that was like a Remington 40x"
    [the beating commences]
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

6.5man
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    You mean like this little well kept secret....
    Yes!! Very much like that, I had a single shot planned though. I would appreciate any details and info you could give me for this build.

Basic Member
    This was a project I worked on 3 years ago. It is basically a " proof of concept" prototype, using over 80% of current production parts. It sports a dual firing pin system along with the ability to adjust head space, just like it's centerfire counterpart. The magazine system is from a model 64 autoloader along with the extractors. The firing pin spring is from an Axis as well as the bolt assembly screw. The rest of the parts are centerfire variety, some being modified. The receiver and the bolt nose are custom dedicated parts. It drops into a factory stock with no modifications. The last time I shot it, it was keeping up with my 40X's with the same ammo.

6.5man
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    This was a project I worked on 3 years ago. It is basically a " proof of concept" prototype, using over 80% of current production parts. It sports a dual firing pin system along with the ability to adjust head space, just like it's centerfire counterpart. The magazine system is from a model 64 autoloader along with the extractors. The firing pin spring is from an Axis as well as the bolt assembly screw. The rest of the parts are centerfire variety, some being modified. The receiver and the bolt nose are custom dedicated parts. It drops into a factory stock with no modifications. The last time I shot it, it was keeping up with my 40X's with the same ammo.
    Very nice, thank you so much! Maybe mine will become something similar one day. From what I can tell that's a centerfire bolt body that's been shortened with a modified locking lugs and bolt nose u mentioned correct? How much did you play with the idea of building it on a centerfire action before deciding to build off a custom action? Just curious because I would like to stay with the original 110 action if at all possible. Thanks again!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I can just about imagine the beating Fred is taking from Lisa about now.

Lisa: "You did what?"
    Fred: "I posted pictures of my rimfire prototype on the forum"
    Lisa: "Why on earth would you do that? Now everyone and their brother is going to be emailing me asking how they can get one!"
    Fred: "Well...some guy said he wanted a Savage that was like a Remington 40x"
    [the beating commences]
    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

mazda3gun
    That's about as custom as it gets!!!!! Way cool!

Glad to see I could use my 64 for something if I ever get bored with it. It really is a fun shooting semi-auto, couldn't imagine it in a beefed up platform. But you did!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5man View Post
    Very nice, thank you so much! Maybe mine will become something similar one day. From what I can tell that's a centerfire bolt body that's been shortened with a modified locking lugs and bolt nose u mentioned correct? How much did you play with the idea of building it on a centerfire action before deciding to build off a custom action? Just curious because I would like to stay with the original 110 action if at all possible. Thanks again!!
    You couldn't build it from a centerfire action because there is no material where the lug abutments need to be, and where the magazine is connected. Not to mention the port needs to be smaller.
    If you look at a 40-X, the top opening of the port actually serves as a lug abutment,while the bottom abutment is machined into the bottom of the receiver where it is normally cut for a magwell.
    To make this work with a long enough bolt stroke, you are stuck with the factory sear/ bolt release and the length of the bolt body to the back of the bolt lugs is critical. That is the reason for the full profile bolt nose, to keep it from rotating. The 40-X has a cylindrical bolt nose and the ejector /loading platform keeps it from turning, so it can operate in a longer port.
    The only possible way you could do it on a centerfire action is to make it lock on the bolt handle, much like the 10ML, but then without a rotating bolt nose you would not have any ejection.

Basic Member
    Hey Fred,

Any updates or more information on your Model 10X ???? I have spent some Autocad Inventor hours trying to figure this out....Keep dreaming about chips flying then some .22 flying.....

Basic Member
    Just to compare notes...how many hours do you have on Inventor trying to make a version?

Basic Member
    Oh I'm sure you have more hours in it than I do! I really don't know how many hours. I have the drawing time plus i have spent time machining some machinable wax to get some physical ideas going. I would bet if I could get it pulled off an anchuntz or 40x would be way cheaper..... Have you thought about making another one?

Basic Member
    I don't have any of that fancy smancy software, so I was just wondering how long it would take someone with some experience with it to come up with a model. I can tell you that I logged my hours from start to finish, and including the mistakes I made (I made 3 different bolts) that I have < 100 hrs in it.
    I'm already in the process of making 2 more. I did about 90% of the machining to the receivers and then sent them to heat treat. I left out the port cuts and the lug abutment cuts to minimize warpage. One will be a single shot, the other a repeater, but I haven't settled on what magazine yet. I've even considered a .17 WSM, but I don't know hiow long that cartridge will live.

Basic Member
    I bet I'm 40~hours in on it, but I'm having to estimate. I'm not a pro with the software, when hours at work come back to reason I'll get up with you and show you what I have come up with. Modeling and 3d printing has come a long way. I had just been using polyethylene and machinable wax for what I have tried. I would really like to build on for a trainer rifle. I'm not a gun smith though so that adds to the challenge. I'm working 72 hours a week right now, I don't think that is going to change till about December. The WSM would be slick as a repeater if it hangs around.