Thread: Bedding a det/mag stock

Basic Member

Bedding a det/mag stock

Got some longer screws to run in, but with the det/mag metal remaining in place, or taking it out, the screws don't want to fit and will not pull the action down tight. Nothing for them to bottom against on the bottom of stock. Realease tab's in the way on the front.

Can the factory stock action screws be well greased and used for bedding? Maybe put a small bit of putty on the outside under the screw head as well? Thinking of using some wax off a bowl ring, about like thick bees wax.

Re: Bedding a det/mag stock

I have good luck without using any screws. Use putty to plug the action screw holes. Secure the stock to action with rubber tubing(comes with a Miles Gilbert kit) or could even use tape I suppose. Make sure to fill the action screw holes with putty. After curing, remove the putty and screw it back together. You might need to enlarge the stock where the action screws go to prevent them from contacting the bedding material/stock. Good luck, Steve.

hank440

I used the stock screws to bed my DBM. I covered them in neutral paste shoe wax and it worked great.

Hylander

I use Clamps, they do not have to be tight, just alittle snug.
    Works great.

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by hank440
    I used the stock screws to bed my DBM. I covered them in neutral paste shoe wax and it worked great.
    Thats how I bed all bolt actions.

They're 3" 1/4-28 bolts with the heads cut off , the shanks polished and a slot cut for a screwdriver. Give then a coat of release, on the shanks and threads and they'll turn right out after the great goop cures.

You don't want to "pull" the action into the bedding. Actions flex rather easily. If you ever straighten one you'll discover it takes very little effort. If its pulled in and flexed to conform to the inletting, the amount the action is deformed be reproduced in the finished job, one thing your trying the eliminate.

If I'm installing pillars I do basically the same thing, attach the pillars with screws and glue them in the same time I bed the action, everything in one shot.

Preparation is 75% of the job, the guide screws allow an easy way to align all the parts prior to bedding rather than tying to doctor it up and make stuff fit afterwards.

Bill

Basic Member

Thank! All good techniques!

acasto

gitarmac

I used the stock screws as will. I don't know how else you would hold the pillars (I used pillars) to the stock. They were slathered with releasing stuff so all is well.