Thread: Yet another cartridge!

Yet another cartridge!

I just heard of the new Nosler 26 that just came out, looks like a Saturn V rocket. 300 ultra mag case necked to 6.5mm, wow, sounds like a barrell burner! Specs show it's super "flat". I Googled it and brass, reamers, etc. are out already.

Wonder if Savage will make any of this caliber?

Basic Member
    I asked the same question on their FB page, the answer I got was "Stay tuned"
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

All you need is the barrel and you can build your own.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

I wouldn't hold my breath for Savage to offer it as they're pretty conservative when it comes to adopting new cartridges. They don't like to commit to anything until it's proven it's worth and they know it's going to stick around awhile rather than on that disappears due to a lack of interest or sales after a year or two.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

But this is the same company that sold the model 25 in 5.7x28 amidst all the cop killer controversy of the cartridge. I'd say they're a lot safer with the 260, but they'll bring one out once it starts to fade.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

n4ue
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I just heard of the new Nosler 26 that just came out, looks like a Saturn V rocket. 300 ultra mag case necked to 6.5mm, wow, sounds like a barrell burner! Specs show it's super "flat". I Googled it and brass, reamers, etc. are out already.

Wonder if Savage will make any of this caliber?
    Hi Badger. I'm just west of Lake City, Fl.
    Look at the Forum "reloading standard ctgs"
    I started a thread back on 1-23 concerning the 26Nosler. Interesting, but way too much for our little deer. ha ha

enjoy

ron

broncbob
    There has been a lot of talk about this in my shooting group. Sounds like a fun cartridge to play with, right up till the barrel dies. Shooters that know more about these things than I do are guessing a round count between 1000 and 1500 and your going to start to see the barrel really go away.

It seams like the 6.5 cal has got a lot of love in the past few years, and rightly so with the B.C. that it has.

Yep, it will definitely be a barrel burner just as the 6-284 and 6.5-284 are. For a medium and big game hunting rifle 1,000 to 1,500 rounds can be a lifetime of shooting, but for a range/competition gun that's generally a single season or less.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

broncbob
    The fact that it burns barrels and that finding brass may be a issue would scare me off of this for now.

I know that 300 RUM brass is hard to lay hands on right now, and spendy when you can find it. Quality of Remington brass is highly suspect from what I hear from my shooting friends that fool with any of the cartridges based of the 300 RUM.

A quick look at Midway tells me that brass for the Nosler 26 is $65 per 25, and out of stock with no back orders. The barrel life of a rifle is greatly extended when you can't get components!

Basic Member
    The gentleman that I talked to who has 2 reamers (different throats) and is getting "support" from Nosler for his custom rifle business says 800 rounds max. If all you want to do is hunt with it after sighting in and the occasional range day at distance, it will last as long as anything. For me I like shooting, so I'll stick to a creed, 260, 6.5x47 etc at the slower speeds in exchange for barrel life. Besides with all that powder there has to be recoil and noise to go with it. I'm far from sold as of yet.

If you really want that kind of performance there are other options. The 6.5-300 wsm and 6.5 SAUM have similar ballistics but use less powder and offer a bit more barrel life. They just don't have the sammi standardization and the backing of a major company. But you can probably get components for them easier than you can for the 26 right now.

Savage6x284
    Shouldn't it be every rifleman's goal to wear out as many barrels as humanly possible in one's lifetime?
    Dead, shot out barrels are a badge of honor.

I think I read it's actually based on the 404 Jefferies and can be loaded up to something in the neighborhood of 120 grs. Nosler is also rolling out rifles to shoot it (who would of thunk it).

I have a couple of 6.5 flavors and the logic of blowing up that much powder behind the slim 6.5, especially in smaller weights, escapes me--regardless of how quickly it may toast the barrel. It IS pretty cool to have "point blank" target acquisition out to 450 yds but I wonder how the well the bullet will stabilize with that much power behind it
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Something tells me we're going to find out ! ! ! ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by Savage6x284 View Post
    ...shot out barrels are a badge of honor.
    To be awarded by barrel-makers. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Savage6x284
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    To be awarded by barrel-makers. : )
    Yep, the .26 Nosler is also known as the Barrel-Makers and Gunsmiths Full Employment Cartridge but that's hard to put on a headstamp.