Thread: Throat location help!

DennisPA

Throat location help!

I am getting a barrel built for a long range bench rest rife. I plan to use a “heavy for the caliber” bullet a Berger VLD, so I will be single loading and I am not concerned with cartridge overall length. My question is while I have the chance to move the throat I’m wondering if I should and how to determine how much.

I have made some dummy rounds putting the junction of the boat tail at the junction of the case shoulder to case neck. Since this is a new round for me and there is not a lot of data out there for it, how do I determine how far out to put the lands? Should tell the barrel manufacture dummy round plus .020 thousands of an inch and call it a day? Thanks for any help.

Basic Member
    problem is once the throat starts to erode where would you go? you would already be at max legnth.
    for me id rather seat the bullets deeper and have the option of making them longer later.

DennisPA
    That brings up a good point. I plan to keep track of how much the barrel erodes thru out the season. I plan to put about 50 -100 rounds thru for barrel break-in and load development. After that I should put about 400 rounds thru this year. Has anyone tracked this and could give an idea of how much a barrel can erode over time?

KRP
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    problem is once the throat starts to erode where would you go? you would already be at max legnth.
    for me id rather seat the bullets deeper and have the option of making them longer later.
    Why would that be max length already? You have the entire length of the neck and depending on the cartridge that can be a lot of room to work with. As the throat erodes you chase it. By the time you run out of neck it's probably time for a set back at least, maybe a new barrel. Keeping the bearing surface above the neck/shoulder junction seems like a good idea to me, it's generally what I base my specs on when I order reamers.

Team Savage
    Go short! You can always increase the OAL of the round. Or, start with lighter bullets and go heavier/longer as the throat wears.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

DennisPA
    Thanks everyone for your help. This should be a fun project. I can't wait to see some results.

Chambering?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways