Thread: 17 Remington feeding problem

Basic Member

17 Remington feeding problem

I have a model 11 in 223 that I'm getting ready to convert over to a 17 Remington (I'm just waiting for the barrel to arrive). Anyway, I was concerned the 17's would have problems feeding problems so I loaded up some dummy rounds to spec length. As I suspected, the smaller diameter and/or shorter case body cause the bullets to jam against face of the barrel rather than lifting high enough to fed smoothly into the chamber. Is there an easy fix for this? I was thinking i could build up and move back the feed ramp of the action with JB weld but I'm not sure it will work.

Easy fix is to put a bevel on the mouth of the chamber of the barrel like they do with AR15/M16 barrels. I don't recall the spec's, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Here's a couple pic's of what I'm talking about.

This bevel has been used on every single M16 barrel ever put into service so there's no safety concern to worry about. Basically it acts as a secondary feed ramp to help guide the bullet into the chamber (often necessary when using flat-nosed or hollow point bullets).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain