Thread: SSS Comp trigger installation

Basic Member

SSS Comp trigger installation

I am trying to install SSS Competition trigger and having trouble...

I have installed 3 screw and Rifle Basix triggers without any trouble, so I understand the basics of how they work. However, when installing the SSS trigger, I cannot get the safety to slide all the way back. It appears to me there are teeth in the back and bottom of the trigger assembly that settle in behind the safety slide preventing it from sliding all the way back to "safe". Thinking I had installed it too deep, I tried again, rotating it so the teeth were not positioned down and behind the slide. In that position I cannot screw the safety screw deep enough to even touch the slide, so that was not right either.

The instructions say sometimes the pivot screw is tightened too much so that the housing squeezes the slide, preventing from it moving, but that is not the problem b/c when the assembly is pushed all the way down the way I first had it, even without the pivot screw installed, the safety will not slide all the way back b/c those teeth are blocking it.

I am tempted to grind those teeth off the assembly, but I won't do that without talking to Fred first.

What am I doing wrong?

Note: I was saying "down", and "installing too deep" because the rifle is inverted during installation. Actually, when the rifle is held upright, in shooting position, the teeth would be, as best as I can tell, to high into the housing.
    Last edited by foxx; 03-09-2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: trying to clerify "deep"

Basic Member
    What "teeth" are you referring to?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Assuming you are holding the assembly upright, with the trigger positioned as if you "aimed" the rifle to the right, they would be in the upper left hand corner of the assembly.

If installed, they would be directly under or behind the safety slide near the overtravel and safety adjustment screws

foxx, do you have the instruction, that show the trigger bracket modification. Not all need modified. The rear of the trigger does not go into bracket at the rear, where the two protrusions are, they touch bottom side. SSS web site shows one installed, might help.

Basic Member
    short round, what section in the SSS website is the picture of the installed trigger shown ?

Thanks..........Jim ;-))

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com

On the left side of the page, triggers, Centerfire
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    thanks, guys. the picture helped. That is the way I did it the second time. Now the safety will slide all the way back and forward no problem. However, I cannot set the safety screw long enough to even come close to the safety bar. I dang-near screwed so deep it would have dropped right out of it's hole.

For target, that might not be a problem, but obviously there's something not right here.

This was a new Trophy Hunter XP model. I wonder if the safety bar is different, dang-near everything else is.

Good to see I was helpful. Try backing off trigger stop screw, now adjust safety. After safety is working, adjust trigger stop.

Basic Member
    Gave up trying to make safety work, was going to go without it.

Then I noticed the trigger guard could not be installed, either. The assembly sits too low and interferes with the bottom bolt release button in the trigger guard.

Unless I hear from someone who says they have used this trigger with the bottom bolt release models, I am going to have to assume I am right; it just won't work with them.

I bought three of them, and will get more, but I guess I will use them exclusively with top bolt release models, and use Rifle Basix or other 3-screw triggers with the bottom bolt release models.