Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis Tactical Bolt Handle

Basic Member

Savage Axis Tactical Bolt Handle

Savage Tactical bolt handle RH fits Sav 110, 11, 12 CNC Machined tactical knob works on the Savage AXIS!!!

UPDATE does not work on the axis. no primary extraction

Last edited by jalmeter29; 03-08-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Not sure that it "works on the axis" as you state, but it bolts on.
    Like all of the other bolt handles out there, it's missing the proper angles for the lever to provide primary extraction. Yea, it'll open and close, but it won't properly extract a fired cartridge the first .003-.005 reliably.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Not sure that it "works on the axis" as you state, but it bolts on.
    Like all of the other bolt handles out there, it's missing the proper angles for the lever to provide primary extraction. Yea, it'll open and close, but it won't properly extract a fired cartridge the first .003-.005 reliably.
    +1

Just because something bolts on doesn't mean it's functionally compatible.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    its a bolt handle. what else does it have to do?

Savage's bolt handles have the primary extraction built into them, and the 110 and the Axis do not cause the primary extraction in the same way.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Your right it doesn't work

there was to much confusion about this topic if it works if it doesn't work i just had to go for it and try it myself. I now see that theirs an extra bit (the primary extraction ramp) on the factory bolt handle that the 110 doesn't have.

factory left, 110 right,

factory bolt.

110 bolt

Yep! The primary extraction ramp is built into the action (female ramp) and bolt handle (male ramp) on the Axis, and on the 110 it's built into the bolt handle (female ramp) and rear baffle (male ramp).
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Baker,
    well said that's it.

Don't try to tell Glades Armory that it doesn't work on a Axis, they will tell you how that everyone on hear is an idiot and doesn't know what they are talking about. They have sold hundreds for the Axis and not one has been returned, blah, blah blah.

COplains
    Okay, now I'm confused. I have an aftermarket handle on the 7mag, still have the original so I set them side by side and checked...they are cut indentically, the ramps on the handle and rear baffel line up just fine. Is it only the axis discussed above? kb

Team Savage
    Yep Axis

drybean

Forever draggin

Savage Axis Tactical Bolt Handle

I got probably 200 rounds through mine off of eBay and never had an issue.

Not saying I won't ever have an issue, but so far I haven't. Also my buddy runs one too and his so far so good
    Last edited by Forever draggin; 03-11-2014 at 01:30 AM.

I don't care if you have a bazillion rounds through your Axis with one, it still has ZERO primary extraction. Smaller and lower pressure cartridges will let you get away with it, but as soon as you start running hot loads and/or step up to larger/higher pressure cartridges you're going to have to beat on the bolt handle to get the fired cases out.

I can accept that a lot of people don't know what primary extraction is or why it is necessary on a high-power rifle which is why I just posted up two new FAQ articles on the subjects last weekend, but those who insist that it's not important or necessary even after having it explained to them time and time again...well...

Forever draggin
    Federal powershok 180grain

Forever draggin
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I don't care if you have a bazillion rounds through your Axis with one, it still has ZERO primary extraction. Smaller and lower pressure cartridges will let you get away with it, but as soon as you start running hot loads and/or step up to larger/higher pressure cartridges you're going to have to beat on the bolt handle to get the fired cases out.

I can accept that a lot of people don't know what primary extraction is or why it is necessary on a high-power rifle which is why I just posted up two new FAQ articles on the subjects last weekend, but those who insist that it's not important or necessary even after having it explained to them time and time again...well...
    You do realize some rifles don't have primary extraction..

Basic Member
    The plot thickens.

rsh4364
    Would think the Edge/Axis was designed to use primary extraction for a reason.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever draggin View Post
    You do realize some rifles don't have primary extraction..
    Really? on purpose? by design?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

rsh4364
    Quote Originally Posted by jalmeter29 View Post
    The plot thickens.
    agreed,Hammer will fall soon.

Forever draggin
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Really? on purpose? by design?
    Is that a joke? Any of you ever heard of the m16? That's right, no primary extraction. There are others

Basic Member
    You better study it a little further....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Forever draggin
    No sir, M16 does not have primary extraction.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever draggin View Post
    Is that a joke? Any of you ever heard of the m16? That's right, no primary extraction. There are others
    I had a M16 Mauser and I'm almost certain that it did have a primary extractor.

Forever draggin
    Nope. Look again. M16 doesn't have primary extraction. It doesn't start rearward movement until it's unlocked. Google is your friend

Patrick Sweeny disagrees with you Draggin'. Read THIS excerpt from "Gunsmithing - The AR-15"

"The Bolt rotates, driven by the cam pin riding in its slot in the carrier. The initial rotation causes 'primary extraction'."

Google is your friend. Like Sharpshooter said, do more study. The word of mall ninjas over on the hide or other forums google takes you to just isn't enough for me when I find information from known firearms experts saying otherwise.
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 03-15-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast