Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage Axis Tactical Bolt Handle

cranebird

Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    If you want to see a nice axis w/ a custom bolthandle mine is on Project savage . com
    the one sitting on a old fence post, just guessing may be one of the first restocked axis
    I'll post it for you.

Basic Member
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...672-Axis-build

Just go to the last page of my build thread. I know I was one of the first here to have the Axis Restocked and rebuilt. You can see my bolt handle work in the pictures at the end as well.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 06-30-2014 at 06:18 AM.

cranebird
    I have no dog in this fight but Jim's Axis was built before they started fitting stocks for the Axis model. His was the standard pattern that had to be modified to fit the Axis model. From the pic, it was time well spent, I love the looks of the rifle, prior to seeing it I was trying to imagine what the color would look like when looking at Boyd's custom color.I wrote it off as thinking it wouldn't look right in that color scheme but after seeing the picture. I can say that I was clearly wrong.

Basic Member
    Edited my last post to read "one of the first" just to avoid any argument as it really doesn't matter who was first.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Edited my last post to read "one of the first" just to avoid any argument as it really doesn't matter who was first.
    I want to thank both of you for getting the ball rolling for the axis, both are outstanding builds.

Basic Member
    This was my final platform set up on the Axis. Picture above was somewhere in the middle of the project.

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    This was my final platform set up on the Axis. Picture above was somewhere in the middle of the project.

It looks excellent, what does something like that weigh ?

Basic Member
    Never put it on a scale, but would guess around 13-14lbs.

04silvy
    Figured I'd show this since I know this subject comes up a lot and this thread helped me out a little. the small..short bolt handle just wasn't working well with my setup and would pinch your fingers in between the scope and knob. I cut the old knob off and smoothed and tapered the handle a bit. Then I drilled a hole out in the end of the handle so I could press the set screw in that I turned down at work. Then I welded the set screw on and cleaned up the welds and threw a quick coat of satin paint. I also fabbed up a knob out of some old scraps I had laying around. It's a tad smaller than a badger knob. I pretty much kept grinding until I liked the size and shape. Primed it then painted it with some spray bedlined for a little texture. Came out pretty nice IMO and cost me $0. I might go back and clean up the handle a little better and repaint with a closer match satin black. Btw the screw is the 5/16 threads like most aftermarket knobs...so if I get tired of this one...most aftermarket knobs will screw right on

blink
    i'm rather bummed to hear that the glades armory handles are not made specifically for the axis.......i was seconds from ordering one.

glad i saw this post!

now i guess by all the diy bolt handles there are none made for the axis???
    Last edited by blink; 12-25-2014 at 09:45 AM.

You are correct. With the Axis' increasing popularity it seems like it shouldn't be long before some company introduces an aftermarket handle, but at the moment we are on our own.

blink
    well that's a pity,guess i'll need to wait!

Basic Member
    East to cut and thread yourself.

Basic Member
    Doesn't Jim at Apache offer this service for the Axis models?

blink
    i see there is one on ebay for $60........says it's for an axis?????

Basic Member
    here's an article in FAQ's that explains why Axis and 10's are not interchangeable even though many sellers claim that they are..

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...nterchangeable

CarolinaShooter
    I bought a glades handle unfortunately

Basic Member
    I am not a vendor on here, so can't sell these, but I might as well share some info here in case anyone else wants to make there own jig.
    Here's a thread I started after making my jig http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...my-Axis-handle
    The jig is similar to the model 10/110 jig, but the Axis handles are held upside down and flat. You just lock it in and dial in the handle to where you want the shoulder to be. This one is pretty ugly, but it's been a jig for a couple of other handle styles in past lives.

notice the 1/2" hole is offset

nuts welded on to hold side-to-side movement, but nicer when milled out of one piece

only had a finished handle to model

bolt, bushing, and washer to hold it down

finished handle

with knob
    Last edited by mscott71; 12-28-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Basic Member
    Very nice work...looks great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123