Thread: My new 10FLCP-K initial range report

Basic Member

My new 10FLCP-K initial range report

I've got 20 shots down the tube and the last 2 of my 3 shot break-in groups fit under a dime (100 yards). Yup... I'm happy, but I'm pretty also impressed.

For now, I mounted a Bushnell 10x40 3200 Elite with Burris Extreme low rings. I also changed my barrel break-in process, because this barrel is not a lapped match type barrel. First thing I did was make sure the barrel was absolutely clean. Once satisfied it was clean, I slowly pushed a fresh cotton patch down the barrel. In doing so, I could feel there were a few rough spots. So I saturated a couple of patches with J-B's paste an ran each back in forth through the bore 20 times. Cleaned the barrel again and ran another patch through slowly... no more rough spots.

Next I shot 2 groups of 3 shots, followed by 2 groups of 4 shots to get on the paper an adjust the scope. Between each group I cleaned with Sweets until patches showed no copper and then used an alcohol patch to neutralize the solvents. A clean patch with a couple of drops of Kroil, worked in, is run down the bore as the last step.

A couple of days later I shot the last 2 groups. Used the same process, except I substituted Lock-Ease for Kroil. I been wanting to try out a suspended graphite, to provide a dry lubricant for the bore, and to tighten up my first shot from a clean cold bore. As it stands, the rifle certainly looks to be a keeper, and I'm going to expand my use of Lock-Ease. Next, I'm going to see how it goes at 200 yards. BTW- I'm using Hornady 168 grain match ammo for accuracy testing. I'm really looking forward to building some premium hand loads.

bodywerks

Re: My new 10FLCP-K initial range report

Was that prone, on a bench, on a vise? Curious, as I can barely keep the group on an 8.5X11 piece of paper at 200 yards with my new savage! I am sure I could blame a 3 to 4 inch spread on myself, as I am a novice shooter, but I don't think I suck that bad - in fact, I put 15 rounds 200 yards down range through my 700 SPS just prior to shooting my savage and I could cover all 15 holes with one clay disc. Still not impressive, I know, but for PMC factory ammo and shooting off a bench with a bipod up front and my hand in the back for elevation control, I don't think it's that bad. And it's a HELUVALOT better than I am doing with my savage...
    Of course, the 700 is in .223 and my savage is .308. But this isn't my first rodeo with a .308...
    My question is, do you think it's all me, or is it more likely a scope or ammo issue? I am running PMC 147gr FMJ through the savage. I decided to use it because I had good luck with consistency with their .223 stuff, and its good brass for reloading. Is it possible that the savage just hates it that bad? Anyone else shoot it through their savage with good results or bad results?
    I was having the same issue with my last savage and was thinking maybe it was the gun. So I bought the FCP-K and transferred my scope from my old savage. It is a Millet TRS-1, a more current version. I know it's just a 'cheap chinese scope', but I haven't heard of them not holding a zero - has anyone else? It will eventually be replaced, though, as I have a Viper PST on order.
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but any help is appreciated. I do have some match ammo(Hornady 168gr bthp) that I will try next time out to see if the group gets tighter...

Basic Member

I'm shooting from a portable shooting bench, bi-pod on rifle and small bag in the rear.

PMC is okay ammo, but I would not use it to benchmark a new rifle or optic. A few inches of spread with PMC would not surprise me. Besides, 147 grain through a 1:10 twist barrel is on the low side for optimal stabilization. I only use my hand loads, FGMM or Hornady match when bench marking new equipment.

Verify that your action and lug are centered and action screws are properly torqued. Same goes for your scope mount and rings. If you have a know good/accurate scope, use it.

Lastly, remember all barrels and rifles shoot a little different. I'm breaking in my 10FLCP-K different than I would a match SS barrel. Since it's chrome moly, I'm aggressively cleaning the barrel and have been using a bronze brush up to this point. Plus I've used J-B paste to polish the bore. All of this speeds up the break-in of the barrel. I mention this, because your barrel may not be broke in yet.

bodywerks

Thanks, I think I am just gonna shove the rest of this PMC through the barrel simply for the sake of putting copper down the pipe. Then I will move over to the match grade stuff. I'm not set up to reload so that's not an option(yet).
    The Viper PST I have on order keeps getting pushed back on the delivery date, so I think I will get something simple, like a 10X fixed Supersniper - something I know is proven. If all else fails after that then I will know it's the shooter >

MSG Janoski

DreamMaker,
    Happy to hear you are pleased with your Savage. The 10 FLCP-K I received late last year was my first Savage and the accuracy floored me.

At 100 and 200 yards I'm getting bug hole groups and at 3 & 400, 1/4 and 1/3 moa groups respectively. My only difference is after the initial cleaning I cleaned lightly once again after 10 rounds and once more after the next 10. Since then I've pulled a boresnake through it after each ten to fifteen rounds (my current round count is at 55). When my groups start opening up I'll then give it a moderate cleaning and go from there.

Shooting prone and bench with bipod using Federal GM308M.

I posted this info a while back, always good to check;
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...6.new.html#new

Basic Member

MSG - I think I read a couple of your posts both here and on the Hide. I was surprised at how quickly POA and POI came together. Even with my deliberate process for the fist dozen rounds, I really don't think the barrel is completely broken in. It will be interesting to see what happen over the next 100 rounds - I've got my fingers crossed. The other interesting thing is my use of Lock-Ease. Simply put, I've never had my first shot, from a cold clean barrel, group so tightly with my followup shoots. This too will also prove to be interesting over time.

BTW- I followed you link. That information is great! I figured the Accustock would require a specific installation and torque procedure. All I've done with mine, so far, is to make sure none of the screws were loose.

Basic Member

Well, I put 10 more rounds down the barrel today. Did a 50/50 split between 100 and 200 yards. I did not clean the barrel. I learned that the accuracy is there, and that my old bones - after a long winter - didn't want to shoot prone today. Sure didn't help my precision ??? Anyway my groups were within 1 MOA, but no doubt could have been much better. The big news for me is the first cold shot was within 1 MOA for the first group of 5. Total of 30 rounds down the tube and I couldn't be happier with this rifle ;D I'll give it a good cleaning either tonight or tomorrow.

bodywerks

Fired some more PMC crapammo through my FCP-k yesterday. Here's 12 shots fired at the same POA, the bullseye. You can understand my frustration:
    [img width=440 height=450]http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/PMCfliers-1.jpg[/img]
    Now that I had the barrel all warmed up I switched to my Hornady 168g BTHP match stuff. Shot three rounds, aiming 4 inches above the bullseye, but due to the heavier bullet this is where the group ended up - call it luck:
    [img width=600 height=432]http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/firsthornady.jpg[/img]
    That's easily a 1MOA group. Not bad considering 12-15mph crosswinds, being a novice, and shooting off a bipod and using my left hand to control elevation.
    So I re-doped the scope to this ammo and laid down some more 3-round groups. I was much happier with all of them over the PMC, but here are a few keepers for me, approaching 1/2MOA, maybe better:
    [img width=570 height=450]http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/secondbesthornady.jpg[/img]
    [img width=552 height=450]http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/besthornady.jpg[/img]
    Bottom line, this savage is a keeper! Just don't feed it crap ammo...time to start reloading :D

Basic Member

Glad you have things sorted out. These 10FCP-K's are crazy accurate ;D

goblin141

Took mine out for the first time on Saturday, the closest range is closed, to some open blm land near us. Had only 50 yard range to use. Before my son and I left I cleaned and ran some of the Lock-ese down the barrel and asked my son to remind me to recheck the scope, Millet Buck Gold 6X25X50. We set up with bi-pod on carpet over the hood of the pathfinder. Could not group consistently when I noticed the scope was very slightly loose. Tightened the mounts and put the last 3 shots touching each other. I will try to take it to the desert soon where I shoot out to 300 yds which for the 223 would be a good start.

Basic Member

goblin - your off to a roaring start. My 10FLCP is my second Savage. The first one is a model 12 that I don't shoot much anymore, because I have 3 AR's in .223 I tend to use more.

Are you a long time user of Lock-Ease? I'm a new user and I'm impressed.

Snakum

My new FCP-K should be in today, and I have the Elite 10x on EGW 20MOA base and Burris rings on the way from optics planet. As soon as I can find a Vortex Viper PST the Elite 10x will go to my Marlin scout rifle.

About PMC 308 ammo ... I have shot a LOT of it. And I'm here to tell you it is all over the map. I have shot PMC Bronze FMJ-BT behind Federal GMM and gotten splendid groups that didn't fall apart till 500 yards. Then the next box looked like a shotgun at 100 yards. It is really that inconsistent. Horrid. I now use only Federal Gold Medal Match, Georgia Arms BTHP, or handloads. life is much more pleasant that way. :)

Interested in any info you have on breaking in the FCP-K. It has a tough act to follow. My little Marlin with the bedded action and stiffened forearm shoots MOA to 500 yards on no-wind days. Pretty amazing little 22" sporter. I'm hoping the FCP-K will cut that in half and get me to 800 yards reliably with 168gr match ammo. Can't wait.

goblin141

Lock Ese...

I have always had it in the house for years and read about using it after cleaning. Its harmless on metal so I thought what the heck....