Thread: Build Opinions

COplains

Build Opinions

Premise: Your building a rifle from scratch, parts from all over the place. You know that mostly it will be a just-for-fun build, paper/steel target out to 800yds or so, occasional varmint hunting. You hope the end result is a good looking, better shooting rifle.

What would you pick between two stocks, I'll use Boyds since a lot of folks know what they look like, the more traditional Prarie Hunter or the more target friendly Varmint Thumbhole? I know there are a boatload of other types and makes of stocks, but the choice is between those two. Also, having it in mind during the build that you may sell the rifle just to start over again, which would potentially have the greater resale "value" and appeal, the Hunter style or the Thumbhole style?

In other words, if you had two rifles on the table, identical except for the two stocks, which would you pick and why?

Thanks, kb
    Last edited by COplains; 03-06-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Basic Member
    Don't think the laminated stocks will add value but may be more saleable.

Basic Member
    I have both and would have to vote for the traditional stock just because it feels better to me in more shooting positions that the tumbhole does.

Savage6x284
    No question, the traditional stock.

thomae
    Good looking is a matter of personal opinion.
    Desirablity of stock color, material, style is a matter of personal opinion and individual anthropometric measurements.
    Build what you want. You are the one who will be using it and shooting it.

Team Savage
    Prairie hunter but a Tacticool stock should ride the bags batter.

Basic Member
    While I love my varmint thumb hole after bedding it, I do know of many people that just plain hate thumb hole stocks, and I know of plenty that hate shooting prone with one. I however prefer mine for prone and feel it works great and is not a hindrance. My issue with the tacticool is how far forward the rear sling stud is. While it's easy to relocate, for me it's wrong for bag placement if you shoot "free recoil." I also don't like that it only comes covered in truck bed coating (not really but close.) Okay I'm done talking about a stock you didn't ask about. I would buy what you want and not care about resale as that's a moot point IMO.

Here's my 22-250 long action in the varmint thumb hole. It rides bags really good when setup correctly with appropriate front bag and plenty of corn starch to lube her up.(different than what's in pics)

COplains
    I used Boyds as an example, it isn't about those two particular stocks. I am after opinions on the two styles, ease of use, first impressions, after the fact impressions, that sort of thing. The stock, whatever it turns out to be, will be in a color similar to Maztech89's above, or not, laffin. Haven't got that far. I'm just looking for opinions on the styles. Someone, at some point, bought one of these styles having never used one before.....still have it? still like it? what worked? what didn't?. I know the Thumbhole positions the hand much better on the trigger, conducive to target shooting, the Hunter is more versatile, but how much so? And yes, I want completely subjective responses, what you think, not the popular vote. Thanks, kb

p.s. That's a sweet setup Maztech
    Last edited by COplains; 03-07-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Anthropometric,Thomae are you a paleoantologist? Why on earth would you use that particular word? LOL We arent all scholars on here.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!