Thread: Range report on new Axis

Pawatch

Range report on new Axis

Yesterday I got an 223 Axis cameo XP combo.
    First trip to the range today. I was using Remmington 55 grain factory bullet. The first 2 shots I was centered but shooting 6" low.
    the 4th shot I had the scope adjusted to the bull. Shot a 1/2" group at 50yds.
    At 100yds probably shot 2.5" group. Off of the factory ammo.
    Come home and cleaned the gun and checked all the bolts for tightness....seemed fine.
    From what I understand the twist on the barrel is 1x9. Am I correct in assuming it might do better shooting a heavier bullet 100yds or greater. Or does someone have something that just works for them?
    Thanks

jasta
    1 in 9 is correct. You might have to test different bullets to see what it likes best. Do you reload?

Pawatch
    Quote Originally Posted by jasta View Post
    1 in 9 is correct. You might have to test different bullets to see what it likes best. Do you reload?
    No I currently don't reload. I have a couple trusted people who reloads, so maybe I can get them to work me something up.

Still wondering does the 1-9 twist like a heavier bullet? Or should I stay in the 50-55 bullet range?

Basic Member
    You will need to try different weight bullets in your barrel to answer your question. ;-))

jasta
    Keep your spent rounds and do some reading on what outer 223 nuts have come up with. Then ask very nicely you friends to run you through what you need and what they want to help you "roll your own". After that, it trigger time.

I'm running 64gr Berger Varmint FBHP's in my 9 twist 223, and getting exceptional accuracy with them in the .2 to .3 range at 100 yards. 55's are so-so, nowhere near the accuracy I am getting with heavier bullets.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Pawatch
    I picked up some Winchester match 69 grain, also picked up some Hornady 53 grain V-max and some Federal 69 grain Sierra BTHP to try.
    That was pretty much all that was available. Should give me a little better idea what the gun likes.
    Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Pawatch View Post
    I picked up some Winchester match 69 grain, also picked up some Hornady 53 grain V-max and some Federal 69 grain Sierra BTHP to try.
    That was pretty much all that was available. Should give me a little better idea what the gun likes.
    Thanks for the replies!
    I shot some of the Sierra 69 BTHP in mine, and wasn't really happy with the groups I was getting, but I shot the 64 Bergers right after that and found it hard to go back to the SMK's. I didn't spend any more time trying to work up loads, so it's kind of an unfair comparison. Another powder may have made the Sierras shine. It's hard to walk away from .2-.3" groups in search of something better.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    Hi, I've tried the 64gr Berger bullets. Unfortunately, I didn't get the same accuracy. Can I ask what load and COAL you were shooting. I was loading at 24.5gr -25.3gr of Varget and a COAL of 2.260"-2.295".

Or just shoot me a PM!

Thanks,
    Joe

just keep shooting factory ammo, groups should tighten up.
    double check twist on factory card board box,
    mine was 7 tw, and I bought it from wallys.
    the trigger is pretty nasty, so your group could be affected by the pull.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by jlnft View Post
    Hi, I've tried the 64gr Berger bullets. Unfortunately, I didn't get the same accuracy. Can I ask what load and COAL you were shooting. I was loading at 24.5gr -25.3gr of Varget and a COAL of 2.260"-2.295".

Or just shoot me a PM!

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe,
    Loads are 24.0gr of IMR8208XBR at 2.990 COAL, Federal 205 primers.

Team Savage
    Thanks, I'll see how available that powder is around me!

Thanks Again

cranebird
    Try to stick with flat base bullets when shooting 55 gr bullets. The boat tails tend to shoot a bit wider group in the lighter weights.

Pawatch
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    Try to stick with flat base bullets when shooting 55 gr bullets. The boat tails tend to shoot a bit wider group in the lighter weights.
    will keep that in mind.

Went to the range today to try the 3 brands of ammo I bought...5 shots @ 100yds
    1. The Hornady Superformance varmint 53gr shot the tightest group. Top of bullseye slightly to left.
    2. Federal Premium 69gr Sierra BTHP. Clover leaf 3 shots. That shot about 1" low of the bull.
    3. Winchester match 69 gr. shot 3 in bullseye and 3 outside of bull.

Right now I would say it is liking the bullets with the grains in the 50's better .

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawatch View Post
    will keep that in mind.

Went to the range today to try the 3 brands of ammo I bought...5 shots @ 100yds
    1. The Hornady Superformance varmint 53gr shot the tightest group. Top of bullseye slightly to left.
    2. Federal Premium 69gr Sierra BTHP. Clover leaf 3 shots. That shot about 1" low of the bull.
    3. Winchester match 69 gr. shot 3 in bullseye and 3 outside of bull.

Right now I would say it is liking the bullets with the grains in the 50's better .
    That is the same thing I was finding but the flat base seem to shoot better than the boat tails in the 55 gr bullet selections that I've tried but in saying that I haven't shot over 150 yards yet. The one thing I would advise you is to not clean out the copper fouling too much. I hear that the savage barrels really don't need exhaustive cleaning and, in fact, seem to shoot better when slightly copper fouled. Apparently it fills in any imperfections in the barrel. The copper fouling advice was given to me here at this forum, I just passed it forward trying to help out.

COplains
    All I can add is that during load developement I found the poly tipped bullets did much better than the hollow points for the range of 50-55gr bullets. This held true at 100 and 200 yds. I never did find a working combo for the Sierra GK's, 55gr so they have been relagated to plinking rounds and fire forming brass. Of all the tested bullets, the Nosler Varmageddon FB Tipped (black poly) really shone.

Current load data for that is (I assume no liability, responsibility, for use of this data. Always work up to a load):

Nosler 55gr Varmageddon FB Tipped P/N 17240
    FC Match brass, Rem 7 1/2 primer
    H335 powder @ 25.0gr
    OAL = 2.260"

One of the Federal American Eagle factory 223 cartridges uses this bullet and they shoot, in my rifle, pretty close to my handloads.
    Last edited by COplains; 03-10-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Pawatch
    Cranebird & COplains Thanks for the replies!