Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage Axis II 308

bdshil

Lol same thing with my 30-30

Gunman9
    Very nice! What stain did you go with on the wood?

bdshil
    It's birch wood Casey walnut stain with oil rub finish

bdshil
    The original stain was much lighter

Gunman9
    Oh ok. Here is mine I hydro dipped the stock myself.

bdshil

bdshil
    I love that! A buddy of mine just ordered a hydro dip kit and we have played with it a little bit. Not very good with it yet

Gunman9
    It is way harder than it looks to get the technique down that's Forsure!!!!!

bdshil
    Good cause I was beginning to think we were just idiots cause the videos make it look so easy

Gunman9
    Lol naw it's hard. Start with little stuff. Make sure you tape the film and make the cuts. And you spray the activator evenly those 2 steps are the most important and you water temprature

bdshil
    Finally got the stock for my .308

This thread reminds me of the old saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Topsail
    Unless you make them very thirsty first.

brett551
    Is that the weaver that came with it? Looks like it came with the ballistic-x reticle. Mine will be delivered tomorrow and I was wondering which one they went with.

bdshil
    The scope is the bushnell that came with it. I haven't upgraded the scope yet. I did add a weaver multi slot base for better eye relief.

brett551
    Interesting. The site I ordered from says it comes with a weaver. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Gunman9

Savage Axis II 308

I used the bolt handle today and not one single issue at all on 75rds. Extraction was smooth and easy. No hang ups or anything. So I can understand the primary extraction thing but as long as it's working for me I'm going to keep using it.

Gunman9
    So here is my UPDATE:

I have shot over 300rds with the bolt on the rifle so far with not FTF, FTE, or any failures of any kind. It has worked flawlessly. Not saying everyone isnt right about the primary extraction because I do know what you are talking about but..... it still works with this bolt and no primary extraction. All my casings are fine. no malformations of the casing of any kind. Like I said I will continue to use the 110 bolt handle because its working for me.
    Last edited by Gunman9; 05-18-2014 at 10:41 PM.

I have a tactical bolt handle for my 11. Now I'm going to have to try it on one of my Axises.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdshil View Post
    Finally got the stock for my .308

How does your factory .308 axis shoot with the ammo or reloads youve fired through it? Im going to possibly be getting an axis in .308 and was curious as to how accurate they are.

Basic Member
    .33 is the best we have gotten with 168 amax's 165 partitioners do very well consistently. This is with h
    Inexpesive hunting scopes, mounted in pillared & bedded boyds stocks. I tried.cheap 180gr Winchester pp's and.results were a nice 10 inch.circle. this.result simular out of 2 matching rifles. Haven't bothered to try working up my own load for.the 180's though I think it could be done. Others seem to have had great groups with the 178smk's.

The 308 axis is consistently sub moa with good ammo. If you brought one to the range.with a box of 180gr pp's you'd probably be disappointed to say the least.

The only downside is what makes them.great hunting.rifles (light and.accurate) makes.them less.then ideal as target rifles because.accuracy diminishes after the barrel warms. But this is true.of most sporter barreled rifles.

I like.the axis. While it's short comings are.well known I think savage is slowly improving the line. I pulled apart a new un-fired 308 Axis II today and remarkably the scope bases were harder to remove the the barrel. They also seemed like better quality. It was still full of the gunk under the barrel nut.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123