Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis II 308

Gunman9

Savage Axis II 308

Just picked up a savage axis 2 and though if throw some pics of it for everyone to see. The bolt I just put on. I got off eBay and fits perfect.

rsh4364
    Looks good.I didn't know anyone was making a bolt handle for the axis!

3. 03-04-2014, 06:42 PM
    Reason
    Linking to an online auction will earn you an infraction. Please read the rules.

Basic Member
    Looks like they don't know how to make an Axis bolt handle either...
    That will work for a 110 series, but it has no primary extraction for an Axis.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Gunman9
    What do you mean sharpshooter? I put it on fit great ran dummy round through all went well.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunman9 View Post
    What do you mean sharpshooter? I put it on fit great ran dummy round through all went well.....

If Sharpshooter is right (and I think he is), you'll probably find out when you try to extract the first fired round...

Gunman9
    So what exactly is different between the bolt handles that will cause a problem?

Sharpshooter is correct, this has been covered several times on the forum. Once you try to eject a fired round you will find out that it does not work. The back side of the bolt handle, where it fits on the bolt body, has a different primary extraction ramp than the 10/110's. If you hold one of each side by side you will be able to see the difference.

Gunman9
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    Sharpshooter is correct, this has been covered several times on the forum. Once you try to eject a fired round you will find out that it does not work. The back side of the bolt handle, where it fits on the bolt body, has a different primary extraction ramp than the 10/110's. If you hold one of each side by side you will be able to see the difference.
    I see what you are talking about. I guess what I am wondering what mechanical part does the bolt handle effect when moving to the upward position to eject a spent case?

Gunman9
    ok so what do I need to do?
    Last edited by Gunman9; 03-04-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Basic Member
    Put your original bolt handle back on. Send the other one back, or put it on a gun it fits.

Gunman9
    I'm going to give it a try and post the results. If it doesn't work they said they will take it back for a full refund

Basic Member
    Primary extraction is not a description of whether a a case will actually extract or not. Primary extraction is a mechanical operation that involves an extraction cam that moves the bolt rearward on it's last few degrees of rotation that pops the case loose from the chamber. Without primary extraction, you are relying on a straight rearward tug to extract the case. On some low pressure ammo this be enough and you might not even notice it, but at some point you will have a case stick and have to slap the bolt back to extract a case.
    The 10/110 bolt handles have the ramp at the top left corner that engages the rear baffle. The Axis has no rear baffle, and engages on the semi-circular ramp on the inside of the bolt handle that contacts the bottom of the left raceway.

bdshil
    I got one for my Axis from most likely the same seller on eBay and it works perfect. I have shot 100 rounds of mixed ammo (including some reloads) and it worked perfect every time.. Love my Axis!

Gunman9
    I have cycled live and snap caps through it with 0 issues. I can't foresee any issues with it. I'm definitely going to shoot it and see what happens but everything looks good to me

bdshil
    Mine is in .223 but I have an Axis .308 as well that I have not shot since the new bolt handle

Gunman9
    Ya i can't see it having an issue at all

bdshil
    I have had a few reloads that were tight and I did have to tap it hard but that happened with the factory handle as well

bdshil
    I wish I had known they were coming out with the axis 2. I would have waited for the accutrigger

Gunman9
    Ya it's really nice

bdshil
    I did get a different spring for mine that dropped it to about a 3lb pull and it's a pretty clean break so I am happy with it.

Gunman9
    Ya with the accutrigger in it now it's crazy not to get the axis II. $329 shipped it was a steal!! The Weaver scope honestly isn't all that bad but it got replaced lol redfield

bdshil
    I'm putting a redfield on my .308. I love the x52 with the hunter reticle. Had to finish building my .223 first. Just got my stock from Boyds today, waiting on one for the .308 ( back ordered)

Basic Member
    Where did you get it at for $329?

Basic Member
    I wonder if I would be better off to keep my Stevens 200 in 308 as my hunting rifle and buy this Savage to build off of?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast