Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: McGowen barrels

mikeooa

I recently purchased a McGowen Barrel in .260 rem. 20" threaded muzzle from Gun Shack, Loves the 123 amax & 123 SST over 37g RL-15, shoots 1/2", I like my McGowen Barrel!!! Having said that it key holes the 130 burger's??? I have tried numerous different COAL with no success shoots the bergers 8" at 70 yards??? Any suggestions???????

Are you referring to the 130 Berger's only? Have you tried the load at 200 to 300 yards?

We will see what we can come up with. Just send a little more information.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mikeooa View Post
    I recently purchased a McGowen Barrel in .260 rem. 20" threaded muzzle from Gun Shack, Loves the 123 amax & 123 SST over 37g RL-15, shoots 1/2", I like my McGowen Barrel!!! Having said that it key holes the 130 burger's??? I have tried numerous different COAL with no success shoots the bergers 8" at 70 yards??? Any suggestions???????
    1:8, or 1:10 twist? Gunshack has had both in 260 recently.

mikeooa
    Dennis,
    Yes, the Bergers (130) are the problem, 123 Amax and 123 SST both shoot 1/2"-3/4". I have not tried the Burgers at 2 or 300 yards as they are at best shooting 8"groups and "key Holeing" 100% of the time. IMO shooting them at a further distance (200 yards plus) is a waste of time...
    Could it be the short barrel? The Twist is 1 :10. Thanks in advance for your assistance... Mike S.

1:10 won't stabilize 130s...they are far too long for that slow twist.

123s are probably about the best you can hope for in a 1:10 barrel.

mikeooa
    Thanks Guys!
    Monday AM purchase some 100G Amax and ladder up...

Dennis,
    Yes, the Bergers (130) are the problem, 123 Amax and 123 SST both shoot 1/2"-3/4". I have not tried the Burgers at 2 or 300 yards as they are at best shooting 8"groups and "key Holeing" 100% of the time. IMO shooting them at a further distance (200 yards plus) is a waste of time...
    Could it be the short barrel? The Twist is 1 :10. Thanks in advance for your assistance... Mike S.
    1:10 won't stabilize 130s...they are far too long for that slow twist.

123s are probably about the best you can hope for in a 1:10 barrel.
    Mike,

I am afraid the 10 twist along with the short barrel might be the issue especially with the Bergers key-holing.

My 6.5 10 twist with a 28" barrel "won't" shoot 130's of any kind or anything around the 140 grn area.

Now mine will shoot smk 120's & 123 Lapua Scenar's in the .1's @ 100 yards, and I have shot the 123's @ 600 yards and did very well.

Everybody's rifle is different, but I believe with an 8 twist, my results would be different than as stated above.

Dennis

mikeooa
    Dennis,
    I think you are spot on with your statements/observations, Thanks again... Does Brownells sell a "add a twist"?

Dennis,
    I think you are spot on with your statements/observations, Thanks again... Does Brownells sell a "add a twist"?
    That's a fantastic idea! You could just screw it on the end of a threaded barrel, like a brake or suppressor, but it would have gradually accelerated twist!! Like a shotgun choke!! I won't say whether I'm joking or not....

Ok, I was joking

LOL, I think barrel-nut has a good idea/thought!

Dennis

Basic Member
    Why not?? There are gain twist barrels out there now so why not a screw on gain twist? Might be something for some brave soul to look into.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

One problem would be getting the rifling to align with the existing barrel, otherwise it would re-engrave the bullet and probably cause a helluva pressure spike.

Basic Member
    That would be the brave soul and it would have to be timed to the barrel so a serial number or some other way to mark it would be in order. of course there will always be some idiot out there that would cause a problem. Maybe we should just forget i mentioned it.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

mikeooa
    I filed U.S. Patent #9388343098 yesterday, Back-off!!
    Mike S

^^brave soul^^

Ovrmydeadbdy
    Here is the link to my new Mcgowen barrel on my 7mm rem mag.
    http://savageshooters.com/showthread.php?t=35488

My 260AI 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 120gr, and my 264 WinMag 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 140gr.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    My 260AI 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 120gr, and my 264 WinMag 10 twist will stabilize bullets up to 140gr.

Dean
    But you send them off at 10,000fps!
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Jonl
    My first three shot group through my McGowen 22-250 9 twist barrel with Sierra 53 gr. match king and 35 gr. H380 was less than 1/4 " and it shoots under 1/2" with several other loads. Love it

rob.dizz.89
    I'm sooo glad this thread exists. I thought I had done enough homework when I recently bought my McGowen barrel, but a couple days after I submitted and paid for my order I read a few comments on a different forum that got me second guessing. I read a comment in this thread that made a lot of sense to me though: people are ten times more likely to write a bad review than a good one (paraphrasing) and I would have to agree with that. If there are only a few unhappy customers out of all the people they sell barrels to, then I feel way better about going with McGowen. I'm sure every aftermarket barrel company has had a few customers in the past that had complaints, but that's business for ya, can't make everyone happy. Also, I've read that on the slim chance that there is a problem, they are very good at making it right which really gives me peace of mind. I just ordered my barrel last week, and I'm having them install one of their "turbo brakes" so it'll be another couple weeks before I receive my order, but I already can barely stand it I'm so excited! This is my first custom build (besides a Ruger 10/22 that a 5 year-old can put together) so I've had to do a ton of reading. Now I know some of the in-and-outs of what components are needed to make the rifle as accurate as possible and I feel pretty confident that I have everything I need. Hopefully in a month or so if everything goes as planned, I'll be slinging lead downrange!

rob.dizz.89
    Forgot to ask in my last comment, but can you guys tell me what the average turn-around time is for a pre-fit that McGowen had in stock? I'm having them add a brake so the turn-around time will be a week or two longer....just curious as to when I should start expecting it being delivered and when I should start getting worried. Do they send you a notification and/or a tracking number when they ship out the barrels?

Ovrmydeadbdy
    I received my pre fit in 11 weeks with no brake. We'll worth it and a lot less time than any other precision barrel company.

Quote Originally Posted by rob.dizz.89 View Post
    Forgot to ask in my last comment, but can you guys tell me what the average turn-around time is for a pre-fit that McGowen had in stock? I'm having them add a brake so the turn-around time will be a week or two longer....just curious as to when I should start expecting it being delivered and when I should start getting worried. Do they send you a notification and/or a tracking number when they ship out the barrels?
    You don't need to get worried. The break adds about 7 days to the order, avg is 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Yes, you will get your UPS tracking number.

PM you order number and I will check on it.

Dennis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123