Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McGowen barrels

Tokimini

McGowen barrels

I ordered a Savage pre-fit barrel in 6 BR from the McGowen Outlet last week. I have found a fair number of negative reviews of their barrels online and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. If you have a McGowen barrel you've gotten fairly recently I would like your opinion of it. Thanks

I would not worry about it, I just got a few and they are nicer than ever, and by chance if it is not they will make it right.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I have a McGowen 260 barrel purchased through Gunshack...very happy with it.

Tokimini
    Thanks guys. Most of the negative reviews are older but I was getting a bit concerned. I can't afford to waste $340.

As ScopeEye pointed out, if there's a problem, Dennis will go out of his way to make it right. So rest easy. Don't worry about a problem unless one actually appears. The Internet has talked me out of several purchases over the years that I later wished I had gone ahead with. It's often a great resource, but always be aware that people are about 10X more likely to go online with a negative review than a positive one. So if there are ever a few problems, it tends to paint a very negative picture. Just my .02, YMMV.
    BTW, I do have a new McGowen 6BRX that I haven't shot yet, but it appears to be very nice. Which I realize, means nothing, except that it looks nice. :-)

Basic Member
    I'm very happy with my 22-250 McGowen.

Tokimini
    Thanks everyone. That makes me feel better.

82boy
    Here is a couple of groups shot out of my McGowan Barrel, you tell me what you think. All are 5 shots at 100 yards, shot from a Savage.

I have a few of their barrels and find them to be outstanding. Don't be afraid to get their barrels. Just like any other human built object there can be a bad one get through, but they also stand behind their work too, so no worries.

Joetinva
    I have a Mcgowen bull .223 Wylde chamber and it shoots under 1/2 MOA.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    Here is a couple of groups shot out of my McGowan Barrel, you tell me what you think. All are 5 shots at 100 yards, shot from a Savage.

That all ya got? Lol

Tokimini
    Nice groups 82boy. Here's a 5 shot group at 100 yards from my custom Remington 700 chambered in 204 Ruger. I'm hoping the 6BR will shoot smaller groups than this consistently.

seanhagerty
    I think I have seen mcgowen on here responding to discussions about their barrels, cant ask for better cs.

Basic Member
    I ordered my first barrel from McGowen in 2011. The overall quality and finish was great, but the thread pattern for my savage action was off a bit. They quickly fixed the problem. I can shoot sub 1/2 groups now with good loads in 6.5x55.

I would recommend them to potential customers.

+1 for the McGowens.
    I can't be happier considering the targets below are all shot with a loose "Trigger Actuator Nut" on a 300 Win Mag.
    Top Pic is 200 yd and Lower Pic 100 yd.
    I'll definately be buying more.

Tokimini
    My barrel arrived. It was five days late, they shipped it to the wrong address, the finish was uneven and there are several scratches on the barrel, one about an inch long. Not a good start. I'm in the process of polishing the barrel with automotive polishing compound. Looks like I should have been patient and waited for the Shilen. Next time I'll know.

Tokimini
    I sure hope it shoots.

I would rather one that shoots purdy than looks purdy.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I would rather one that shoots purdy than looks purdy.

Dean
    I agree, but with so many things going wrong it doesn't give me a lot of faith in McGowen as a company.

n4ue
    I bought a SS 6.5 TCU from them and it is fantastic....

ron

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    I bought a SS 6.5 TCU from them and it is fantastic....

ron
    I'm curious to know barrel length and velocities you are seeing from your 6.5TCU

Team Savage
    Didn't ya read my post from two days ago ?? "My New McGowen 1 in 9 .223 Savage pre fit"
    My requirements are 1/2 minute of angle as I am still at heart...a prone shooter. And it apears my new McGowen will do that with ease. I'd buy another

Have you contacted them? I'm sure they would try to make it right for you.

Tokimini
    I did contact them and they offered to polish the barrel and pay the shipping both ways, but with all the problems with the original shipping I decided to do it myself. A couple of hours with automotive polishing compound and it's starting to look pretty good. A couple of more and it will look like a quality barrel.

EOD350
    I have a McGowan on a L/R starter rifle I made three years ago in .260. It shoots 123 Scenars in tniy little clusters and I shoot it to 850 regularly. Little slow to clean up, but no other issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast