Thread: Savage factory F-Class stock impressions?

Basic Member

Savage factory F-Class stock impressions?

For those using the factory Savage F-Class stock what are your impressions? Pros/cons? How does it compare to other stocks?

Basic Member
    I have a couple of them on my f class rifles, I found it worked ok on my 6br but it didn't track all that well, the bottom of the buttstock tapers down from the pistol grip to the back of the stock.

The tracking issue was magnified with the extra recoil of my 6.5-284 and it also started trying to torque over in the bags.

I ended up making the underneath of the buttstock parallel and setup an offset plate on the front of it, it tracks really well now and doesn't torque over

The other issue I had is that with the 30" straight taper factory barrel, it was very light in the rear, I drilled holes under the butt pad and added about 2lbs of lead to balance it better.

There are properly a lot better stocks available for them, but our options here in New Zealand are pretty limited as most of the stock makers in the us won't ship out here

The other issue I had is that with the 30" straight taper factory barrel, it was very light in the rear, I drilled holes under the butt pad and added about 2lbs of lead to balance it better.
    I did the same with my Savage Stock. I took the butt plate off and drilled a 1" hole about 5" in. I put epoxy in, then a one ounce cup of #9 lead shot , then took a 1" round piece of wood and packed it. I repeated this until the hole was full.

Pretty well everything nzshooter stated would be my thoughts as well.

Dennis

I only have done this on my 6mm's, My bigger calibers all have SSS HBR stocks which I have done the same thing to. I have them about 1/2 lb. less the legal limits. It really made my 308 and 6.5x284 fun to shoot.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies.

bucksnort2
    Does Savage sell Palma stocks? Thanks.