Thread: Wheeler Accurizing Torque Wrench

Basic Member

Wheeler Accurizing Torque Wrench

Not sure if this the right forum section or not, but I will be mounting an SWFA 10X with an EGW 0 rail to my AXIS 7mm-08. Since I would like to be as precise as possible, I would prefer to use a torque wrench.

I was hoping to get some opinions on this particular model and whether it was worth the $45-50 or should I look for something else, and if so which one?

buxman66
    Went w/a inch#torque wrench in 3/8 drive and use adapter for bits.Phillips, torx, Allen can all be used as well as the standard sockets that way. I think your kinda pigeonholed w/ the wheeler screw driver type. Imo.
    Last edited by buxman66; 03-03-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added info

Basic Member
    Thanks for the feedback!!

I bought the Wheeler FAT "Wrench" (? why they call it a wrench...I dunno...). I got it on sale for $40.00- I forget who from. You'd probably have more diversity getting a 3/8" drive as buxman66 suggested- however the Wheeler comes with various size Torx heads, allen heads, flat head screw drivers and an adapter for a 1/4" socket. 9 pieces not including the adapter. Your standard Phillips head bits, as you'd use in your cordless driver or drill, readily fit the Wheeler.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Measures between 10 - 65 in./lbs. I think if you consider the heads they send with the tool and the adapter, it is a decent "bang-for-the-buck" option. JMO. Best wishes whichever way you decide...
    Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    Think I am going to pick one up, since they aren't to terribly expensive. Thanks..

ColColt
    I've been happy with the Fat Wrench as well...mounted three scopes with it and torqued the stock/action screws to the proper recommended torque on several rifles-no complaints other than they needed to add at least one more bit as all the once included in the set wouldn't fit one of the guard screws on an old pre-64 Model 70...close but no cigar.

emtrescue6
    I am glad to see your comments here...I just ordered a Wheeler FAT wrench from Midway...waitin on it to show up this week.

Basic Member
    I got one awhile back and I'm pleased with it. Before buying the Fat Wrench, I had no idea where I was at. Now I know what my screws are torqued at and can repeat that spec if I take rifle apart.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Good to see so many positive experiences!! Looking forward to purchasing mine.

Basic Member
    Has anyone used the Wheeler scope mounting kit? Is it worth it?

ColColt
    I bought one and found it a great aid in getting the cross hairs aligned properly. Probably one of the best you could buy, IMO.

JDUB007
    Another option is to just get the wheeler fat wrench for torquing stuff down, and skip the wheeler level system. For me as for aligning reticle...I prefer using a gun vise with a plumb line(weight on a string)...if you don't have a vise the money you save buying the levels you can have a nice vise more useful in long run IMO
    just put gun in vise level the gun, then align reticle to string hanging from ceiling with a heavy washer on it

kdvarmint
    For scope mounting I use the gun vise with a plum line. I think it is the most accurate. But you must maintain a level rifle while you do this. A set up such as this is the way to go. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/189...ProductFinding
    Or make your own clamping level that you can clamp on the barrel once you have the gun level so you can maintain level throughout the process. I usually level off the scope bases (without a scope mounted) then clamp your level on the barrel and your set. Next I have a string with a weight tied to the bottom hanging from a shed roof that I can see though a window in my sun porch. With the rifle set up in the vise, and the scope loosely mounted I look through the scope and line up the vertical cross hair with the plum line, while maintaining level with the level clamped on the barrel. Must recheck as you torque the scope rings evenly (scope will sometimes move as you torque down, recheck, recheck). Special note, it must be a calm day, or the plum will swing. I didn't come up with this myself, just sharing experience. Hope someone finds it helpful.
    If you shoot long range, dialing shots, or use hold over especially on small targets, a level scope is a MUST! For a hundred yard deer rifle, not such a big deal.

I also use the Wheeler Fat Torque Wrench and the Wheeler 89 Piece Screwdriver Set which works with the Torque Wrench.
    Last edited by kdvarmint; 03-30-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Basic Member
    I have the FAT wrench and it has very good feedback when you get your selected torque. Just make sure you double check your screw torque twice