Thread: Inaccurate .204

Jefe

Inaccurate .204

In a herd of .223 fanatics, I bought a bull barrel Model 12 in .204 because they had to see it in action. We hope to use it on prairie dogs.

We know what we're doing off the bench. Two guys are at .24" in a five shot group competition and I've set a national record for .22 through iron sights.

Problem: the .204 won't do better than 1" groups at 100 yards, and then only after a couple warm-up shots. We've tried all bullet weights from 26 to 40g and several powders. Factory Federals are no better. All rounds were loaded near maximum velocities. The hand loads are as long as the magazine will allow but still do not quite touch the rifling.

My factory Marlin .17 HMR will do 3/8" under the same conditions. I really don't think the trigger actuators are the issue.

What do you suggest?

Ed

Re: Inaccurate .204

A few things come to mind, check the tightness of the action screws,check and or torque the scope bases and rings,check to be sure the crown isn't chipped or have a burr.Try a different scope. If reloading set back around .007-.010.
    I am sure you will get a few more thoughts.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

TnTom

Without pi$$ing folks off I think the .204 is a flash in the pan but probably shoots better than what you are seeing.

See if the action is setting on the pillars like they should look for any signs on binding and that the action screws and pillars are set up right and not loose. My model 12 came from the factory loose as a goose but a little tweeking got it going. Break in is pretty critical to.

Basic Member

Mine did not settle down until I had about 100 rounds down the barrel. I was very disappointed at first, then it started shooting great and no problems since. Sub 1/2 inch is the norm for the ones that I have shot after break-in. My gun likes 39 gr Sierra Blitz Kings, max book load of H4895, and a BR4 primer.

Great 500 yard prairie dog cartridge! Easiest caliber to hit a PD with out to that distance that I have ever used.

39 gr bullet performance seems to drops off right around 500 / 550 yards.

The 40 gr V-Max would not shoot well for me in either of my two 204's.

Do you have a laminated or plastic stock? The plastic stocks usually need to be rested near the front bedding screw for best accuracy as the front is so springy based on my experience with my first Savage (a 223, now in a VLP stock and now my most accurate rifle).

Is the tang free floated? I had a VLP that was not and it gave me problems till I sanded 1/32 inch off with a deep wall socket and fine sandpaper, refinished it w tru-oil.