Thread: Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist Type 2 Stock Issues

aquaticsanonymous

Angry Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist Type 2 Stock Issues

I ordered a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist Type 2 stock from Stocky's Stock to replace the tupperware that came with my Savage Hog Hunter .223. Upon unboxing it, it seemed to look decent aesthetically, however upon attempting to mate the action to the stock, I noticed something was wrong.

As you tighten the action screws, you can watch the action turn in the stock, and when torqued to spec (actually below spec) the scopes crosshairs are canted, and the trigger is sitting crooked in the trigger guard area. A friend of mine who is more handy at these type of issue than I came over and gave her a look over. He double checked to make sure that the scope is sitting level on the action.

It appears to us that the aluminum bedding block is fiberglassed in the stock crooked? We can set the action in the stock so that the scopes crosshairs are level, but when we tighten down the action bolts, it cants the scope and trigger.

Upon further inspection, I can also see that one of the swivel studs is mounted off by 1/8 of inch? It also looks like the one swivel stud is not mounted in the center of the forearm. This stud also appears to be caving inside the stock?

I called Stocky's and told the customer service gal of the issue and she said they have had some bedding blocks which were off. She said that they also have had actions that were not level? She gave me a number to write on the box and told me to send it UPS insured. I asked her if that was normal for the customer to pay return shipping on a defective stock. She said that if it is determined defective, they would reimburse me the shipping fees?

Needless to say, I'm not impressed at this point. I know the stock isn't the top of the line, however, $286 bucks isn't what I call cheap.

Anyone else had a problem with Bell and Carlson or Stocky's?

The_Agent_
    I almost just put my order in for one, but now im giving it a second thought after reading this. Lets hope it gets all sorted out quickly and they possibly hook you up with a little something extra.

aquaticsanonymous
    yeah, it's disapointing to say the least! I did some google searching and found lots of people have that problem with the action being canted in the stock when tightened up. Seems some are shooting it that way, and some are returning them, only to have the same problem. Apparently some were told to sand out the barrel channel if it's touching because of the cant. Mine is not touching, however, it just makes a properly leveled scope's crosshairs crooked. Not sure if i should just adjust the scope, or send it back on my dime.

The_Agent_
    you could adjust the cross hairs, but your action will still be canted and at long range it'll be throwing the round off the mark.

aquaticsanonymous
    It took a little finagaling, but I was able to get it in by ssssssllllllllloooooowwwwwllllllllyyyyyy tightening the action screws and only torqueing them down to 40lbs. It looks like this:

aquaticsanonymous

hog hunter

And it shoots like this!

aquaticsanonymous
    http://practicalrifler.fr.yuku.com/topic/73

This is a good read on Rifle cant

The_Agent_
    Interesting, i wonder how much being a little canted would affect my long range shots. I might have to look back at the B&C medalist since you got yours running right.

Basic Member
    Stocky's will take good care of you if you have to send it back. I have always found it helpful to rock the action back and forth while slowly torquing the action screws down. Seems to keep from binding on one side of the block and canting.

aquaticsanonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Agent_ View Post
    Interesting, i wonder how much being a little canted would affect my long range shots. I might have to look back at the B&C medalist since you got yours running right.
    Read that artical that I linked just above your post. It seems that it makes little difference, as long as you level your scope.

aquaticsanonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpig View Post
    Stocky's will take good care of you if you have to send it back. I have always found it helpful to rock the action back and forth while slowly torquing the action screws down. Seems to keep from binding on one side of the block and canting.
    It seems that was my problem. I just put the action in and screwed it down at first. It was binding on one side. It fit nearly perfect once I did what you are describing.

The_Agent_
    I guess I'll be nabbing one, once I get my tax refund and I read the article. It has a small effect but I was wondering what it would do at 750+ yards, would it stay small or throw the shot competly off