Thread: 223 AI Long or 222 Mag AI - began final load work up

dcloco

223 AI Long or 222 Mag AI - began final load work up

Had the need for a caliber that had enough knockdown power for longer yardage shots, but in a package that could be carried.

Picked up a 1:8 twist Shilen XX 223 stainless barrel a couple years ago, but did not know what to do with it.

Another member here gave me the idea of a 223 AI Long. Using 204 Ruger brass, necked up to 223, then fireformed, provides the foundation for this build. Sounds like a lot of work....it is not...at all.

Using my 223 AI reamer, it was as simple as running it a bit deeper in the chamber for the 204 Ruger brass (which actually is a 222 Mag necked down to 20 caliber).

Just started fireforming brass and working up loads using 80 gr AMax as my missiles. Accuracy across all speeds has been excellent. Some definite sweet spots for this barrel/bullet combo using Benchmark, Win 760, H4895, Reloader 15, and H414. Tonight, I was past the initial load work ups and am narrowing down the final powder combo. Jury is still out, but it looks like it will be Benchmark, H4895, RL15, or Win 760...yes...they shot that well...all of them.

Speed in the 3050 range will probably be what I end up with. Can push it a little more, but no need to.

When fireforming the brass, good speed (2800) AND accuracy is easily attained as well.

Final test will be 300 yard groups......will post pics later this weekend.

OH...almost forgot. 29.5" Shilen XX 1-8 twist light varmint/heavy sporter contour, Stevens short action, Northlander's stainless recoil lug (of course), oooold style SSS trigger (have to get some creep out of it yet), all bedded in a B & C Duramaxx stock.

outlawkyote

Re: 223 AI Long or 222 Mag AI - began final load work up

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco

Using my 223 AI reamer, it was as simple as running it a bit deeper in the chamber for the 204 Ruger brass (which actually is a 222 Mag necked down to 20 caliber).

My experience when running a reamer in deeper than intended by the manufacturer is that the primer pockets tend to loosen up sooner. Might want to watch for that, if you have this problem, prolly have to shorten the barrel back to 223AI.

dcloco

Yep...will do.

Be sure to be careful when FL sizing with the 223AI dies (assuming that's what you're using).....just enough to be able to chamber, no more. You can run into headspace issues if sized too much.

dcloco

Only neck sizing with a bushing die for right now.