Thread: Need help on picking scope

samxeyeam

Need help on picking scope

Hello,
    I have a savage model 11/.308 which came with a bushnell scope. I am looking to upgrade and have around $300-350 as my budget and after some research, I narrowed it down to these 3 below..

-Nikon PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14X50
    -Nikon Monarch Rifle Scope 3-12x 42mm
    -Millett 4-16x50mm Tactical Rifle Scope

Im not sure why but I am attracted to the illuminating scopes yet concerned they will not last long with the .308.
    Basically, I want a good, reliable, versatile scope and it does not need the illuminating option. If anyone has another brand of scope which falls under the criteria, please share :) thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    Of those three the Monarch is head and shoulders above the other two.

I agree
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Team Savage
    + 1

David_4
    If the Monarch you are looking at is not a Monarch 3 or 7, they haven't been updated in awhile. Of the 3 you have listed the Monarch is the best. If you can expand your budget an extra 17.00, get the Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 at The Digital Oasis for 366.38, it is better by far than the ones you have listed for only a few more dollars.

emtrescue6
    I love my Nikon's....especially the couple of Monarch's I have....I believe there's a Nikon sale still going on...I just bought a 4-16x50SF Monarch 3 from Optics Planet at like $150 off the regular price.

emtrescue6
    I would also suggest you take a look at the Swift Premier line of scopes...I have several, including a 3-9x40 that been on a 270WIN for over 20 years now failure-free...and it gets hunted with every year! I also have a 6-24x50AO on my Savage 10 FLCP-K that I am very happy with.

Burris E1
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Burris E1
    Got the E one and have several Nikon Monarchs. Both are good choices. If you get the Monarch, I recommend you do not get the BDC reticle. It is a good idea but the reticle is just plain too heavy to practically use at longer ranges. My favorite is the mildot or the nikoplex. I also have new and old Monarchs. If you can find an older Monarch without the side focus, the glass is noticably better and is worth every penny.
    The E1 has a super reticle and great glass but I do wish it went full distance across the glass. This is my favorite AR scope.

David_4
    No experience with the Swift scopes but I do have 2 E1's, several Nikon's, a lot of Bushnell 3200's and while they are decent scopes, they don't compare to the Zeiss Terra. Even though the Terra is the entry level Zeiss, it has better glass than any other scope I own, especially in low light.

Three things I also like about the 4-12x42 is that it doesn't have an adjustable objective or side focus is compact at 12.4" long and only weighs 14.8 oz. Side focus or AO has it's place but I don't think it's needed on a 4-12.

The Monarch's and Burris E1's are good scopes, it just depends on how good of a scope you want.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpig View Post
    Got the E one and have several Nikon Monarchs. Both are good choices. If you get the Monarch, I recommend you do not get the BDC reticle. It is a good idea but the reticle is just plain too heavy to practically use at longer ranges. My favorite is the mildot or the nikoplex. I also have new and old Monarchs. If you can find an older Monarch without the side focus, the glass is noticably better and is worth every penny.
    The E1 has a super reticle and great glass but I do wish it went full distance across the glass. This is my favorite AR scope.
    I agree with the point of staying away from the BDC reticle...my Nikon's are all the Nikoplex and I really like them. I have those with and without the side focus, but really haven't seen much difference in the clarity of the glass...but my eyes aren't 100% either! hahaha

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I also suggested above you look at the Swift Premier scopes....I have half a dozen of them and really really like them. Very impressed with the quality and clarity and especially the price....I have a 6-18x50 (that's going on a 25WSSM), a 6-24x50 (on an 10 FLCP-K) and a couple 3-9x40's...including one that's been on a 270 WIN for over 20 error free years ....and they have a great lifetime warranty.

JDUB007
    Monarch hands down better...Another option if you like Nikon is the buckmasters which they are discontinuing...can get one for the same price as pro staff but has better glass and more precise/reliable windage and elevation IMO, but if you can get the Monarch in your price range get it