Thread: McCree stocked 223 having feed issues with "long" loads

Basic Member

McCree stocked 223 having feed issues with "long" loads

Ok lets see if I can explain this...
    I have a model 10 223 in a McCree stock (which I love, got 2 of them!). The load I have been shooting is a 80g smk loaded very long. The AI 223 mags allow for a very long bullet seating. Approx 2.33 oal.

It will not feed with long oal loads. Today I was looking at it and I can easily see what the issue is. My feed problem is this, the cartridge is pushed forward by the bolt out of the mag, the bullet tip hits the flat edge of the barrel stopping forward motion. The shoulder of the cartridge is not in contact yet with the feed ramp. So it is not getting any direction to go up into the barrel soon enough. It will not feed unless I push the base of the cartridge down and allowing the cartridge to rise/tip up into the barrel bore. Why? I think this is due to the long oal, McCree chassis and AI mag combo causing the cartridge to sit higher (than the original box mag) and not contact the bullet to the feed ramp.
    Short oal cartridges feed no problem, the bullet then shoulder hits the ramp and up they go into the chamber.

I can see that if I build up the ramp and/or fill in the space between the ramp and the barrel it looks like it will feed properly.

Has anyone done this? If so can you explain how? material used? (JB weld or?).

Hope that was explained ok.
    Thanks

I can't really help on your feed issue, but DO NOT PUT ANYTHING BETWEEN THE BARREL AND THE RAMP!!

That area is where the lugs of your bolt's head lock into the receiver. If you fill that area with anything your bolt will not close.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

You would be better served slightly relieving the bottom of your magazine's feed lips.

I run 90gr Bergers @ 2.495" OAL through an AICS magazine (albeit CDI DBM in a McMillan A5) and they feed just fine.

Basic Member
    Boots
    Yes you are 100% correct. After posting that I looked at another action I have and there is no room to build up the ramp or fill in the space.

Boiler
    the mag feed lips? Not sure how that would help. The cartridge is coming straight out of the mag but it has nothing directing it up to the chamber. Can you explain to my not understanding brain how that would help?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rover31
    the mag feed lips? Not sure how that would help. The cartridge is coming straight out of the mag but it has nothing directing it up to the chamber. Can you explain to my not understanding brain how that would help?
    The round's nose needs to be slightly higher to enter the chamber, right?

If you relieve the bottom (ie. inside) of the feed lips slightly, from front of the feed lips tapering toward the back of the magazine, that will allow the round to slightly sit nose-up in the magazine which may provide just enough upward angle for the bullet to enter the chamber.

Is there an option to adjust the release on the McRee a little, allowing the magazine to sit a bit 'shallower' if you think its height is an issue?

Basic Member
    Boiler
    Thanks, I was wondering if that is what you were meaning. Good ques on the mag . I will look at it today, ponder some more and repost.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Sure enough the mag does have some play when in the mag well. If I put the mag in and seat it tight up in the well the cartridge will not feed correctly, if I give it a little tug down (or tip/rock the mag back)it feeds easy peasy.
    So looks like I need to come up with a mag stop/tilt of some sort. I have looked at the mag and it will prob be possible to build up the top just an couple of mm's to make it function perfectly or very close.
    Thanks

BoilerUp,

Do you have any pics of mods to the mag feed lips like what you're talking about?

Travis,

Would it be possible to put a wrap of tape or something around the mag body so it stays in position in the well?

Thanks,

Monte

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    BoilerUp,

Do you have any pics of mods to the mag feed lips like what you're talking about?
    I do not, have not had to mod my magazines that way and was just a thought on my part.

Basic Member
    Monte
    Yes That is what I was thinking of doing, a a bit of gorilla tape to see what effect that has. If it works I might try some kind of more permanent rigid build up. On the list for to-do today...
    T