Thread: Boyds XX Claro Walnut Stock Arrived

Boyds XX Claro Walnut Stock Arrived

It took about a week and a half but the stock showed up this afternoon. Having never seen an unfinished XX grade claro walnut stock in person, I have no basis to judge the quality but it sure looks good. Everything fits great but I will need to open the barrel channel up to fit the Lt Varmint barrel.

Cheers!

Shawn
    "Face Piles of Trials With Smiles"
    NRA Life Member

With that dark figure running through it thats going to turn out awesome. What's your plans for finishing it?

Quote Originally Posted by 03mossy View Post
    With that dark figure running through it thats going to turn out awesome. What's your plans for finishing it?
    I have two methods I am thinking about using. First, is to apply Transfast dark red mahogany water based die to take the blonde out of the wood and highlight the darker grains. After that use the Armour All and True Oil method and hand rub the finish in.

The second idea, is to not do anything to the stock but sand and apply Armour All and True Oil.

I have a Savage 340C stock from Boyds and an old Remington 550 stock that I will be testing the methods on. Whichever one works and looks the best is the route I will take.

Cheers!

Shawn
    NRA Life Member

Pseum0
    that's a fine chunk of wood. A torch burn finish would really pop out that dark grain.

Basic Member
    Nice. It sure looks nicer than the plain walnut stocks from Boyds

Is that dark forend tip something you did or does it come that way? Can you post a closeup of it?

You should look into adding just a touch of bone black to your oil finish to really make the grain pop. Beautiful stock.

Man that's pretty.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

That picture looks reversed. :)

Looks good though.
    Last edited by Szumi; 03-02-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    Nice. It sure looks nicer than the plain walnut stocks from Boyds

Is that dark forend tip something you did or does it come that way? Can you post a closeup of it?
    Here is a close up of the tip. This tip is made from Rosewood..

NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Classic style. I like it

Is the recoil pad from Boyds? Is it a hockey puck or is it cushy?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    Classic style. I like it

Is the recoil pad from Boyds? Is it a hockey puck or is it cushy?
    Hehe, its a cushy wooshy pad from Boyds.. However, I think I should have gotten something a little nicer for the recoil pad.
    NRA Life Member

Actually, isn't the tip that Rutland Dymondwood Rosewood Burgundy laminate? Which option did you pick for the recoil pad? I'm planning to do something pretty similar, LH even, and your pics really help and encourage me to jump on it. I honestly can't decide right now about that tip (pretty but expensive) and the recoil pad, Std Boyds 1/2" or the Pachmayr D752B. your info here is very helpful in a direct way for me. Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by SFLEFTY View Post
    Actually, isn't the tip that Rutland Dymondwood Rosewood Burgundy laminate? Which option did you pick for the recoil pad? I'm planning to do something pretty similar, LH even, and your pics really help and encourage me to jump on it. I honestly can't decide right now about that tip (pretty but expensive) and the recoil pad, Std Boyds 1/2" or the Pachmayr D752B. your info here is very helpful in a direct way for me. Thanks much.
    You are correct on the tip: Dymondwood Rosewood Burgundy tip option C20020. I know the tip is expensive but I think it is worth it.

Regarding the recoil pad, I opted for the C50000 Limbsaver recoil pad 1".

Hope this helps..

Shawn
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    That looks nice now and will look very nice when done. I'm in for pics of finished product

Thank you Shawn. I think I'm pretty close to deciding now, I'm glad you posted your stock.

ColColt
    Armour All? I've never heard of that being used for a stock finish. Tru Oil hand rubbed would look great, IMHO. I had a custom 270 many years ago that had a hand rubbed finish with it and it looked superb.

Basic Member
    How 'bout dark earth Krylon and desert tan Rust Oleum?
    Last edited by foxx; 03-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    Armour All? I've never heard of that being used for a stock finish. Tru Oil hand rubbed would look great, IMHO. I had a custom 270 many years ago that had a hand rubbed finish with it and it looked superb.
    Here is a link to the Armour All and True Oil method. The results are pretty amazing and instead of 1 coat and let dry, you can apply 10 coats per day if you want.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=331108

I have refinished a few stocks over the years and just heard about this a couple of months ago

Foxx, you have to be smoking somthing...hehehe
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    That Armour All and Tru Oil system looks incredible. I gotta try that. After looking thru the link, I got even more excited b/c it shows you can get beautiful, truly matte finishes with it as well. I'm excited about that.

Dang, if I'd known about all this I would have ordered my Boyds Classic unfinished, too. And, I 'd have it already!

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    That Armour All and Tru Oil system looks incredible. I gotta try that. After looking thru the link, I got even more excited b/c it shows you can get beautiful, truly matte finishes with it as well. I'm excited about that.

Dang, if I'd known about all this I would have ordered my Boyds Classic unfinished, too. And, I 'd have it already!
    I was blown away with the results those guys were getting also. Some of the completed stocks over there belong in a museum! This past week, I have been working on a simple 1"x1/2" piece of hardwood from Lowes as a test to see how the True Oil and Armour All worked. To say the least I have been amazed. Simply spread a very lite coat of Armour All on then rub the True Oil in. After an hour, you can apply another coat etc: great find!

One way to achieve the satin look is to polish with pumice stone followed by rottenstone. I am trying to achieve the look of the Ruger Red Label gun stocks.

Good luck,

Shawn
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    I have also done a number of stocks in the tru oil/armor all method. Here is one I stripped and redid. Your stock will look absolutely amazing done this way!

Basic Member
    WOW, Tee. That's truly gorgeous.

--Is that word allowed on this site?

I wonder if I'll have the guts to strip a brand new Boyds stock when mine comes in. Of course, mine is just standard grade.

Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer View Post
    I have also done a number of stocks in the tru oil/armor all method. Here is one I stripped and redid. Your stock will look absolutely amazing done this way!

Holy cow moo moo! That looks great.. How is that finish holding up for you? Did you add any stain or dye to that or did you simply strip it and apply the True Oil? I plan on using Tung oil thinned down to seal the wood and bring out the grain and contrast. The finish coat will either be Lacquer or True Oil: I am teeter tottering between which finish to use.

Cheers,

Shawn
    NRA Life Member