Thread: Which dies??

Basic Member

Which dies??

I have a 280 ackley on order from McGowen and I'm trying to get everything else lined up before it gets here. I have the Nosler 280ai brass already and am looking at Redding dies. They offer a full length die set and a neck sizing die set. I think I'm going to get the neck sizing set for now but was looking for opinions from anyone else if I should be looking at any other dies?
    Thx in advance

Savage6x284
    I don't think you can beat a Lee Collet Die for this application. The regular .280 Remington LCD works great on the AI version.

I will also suggest you pick up as much Accurate Magpro as you can find because IME it is simply the best powder for the .280AI.

Basic Member
    I'll check out the LCD. That and a seating die should ge me by for a while. For powder I'm hoping to find a load with Reloader 22 as I have a bunch that I use in my 26-06ai. If that doesn't pan out ill definitely look at the mag pro.

Savage6x284
    RL22 was also a good powder in mine with excellent speed and accuracy but it doesn't meter as well as Magpro.
    I like powders which meter well because I'm a throw and go type of guy.

Basic Member
    Is there an advantage to using the Lee collet die instead of the Redding neck sizing die?

I use both the Redding and the LCD. I haven't seen a notable difference on the targets but not having to lube the necks with the LCD is a plus in my book. Enough so I added the LCD to a few other chamberings I load for in high volume.

Another plus, I have a LCD for my 6.8 SPC. I'm currently waiting on a Black Hole Weaponry 22x6.8 wildcat. All I need to do to resize 6.8's to 22x6.8 is insert a .25 caliber, and then a .22 caliber collet and I'm set. No need to buy another set of dies. They're great for resizing cases from one caliber to another.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Go Lee Collet and don't look back. No case lube required to size the necks, seems to extend the brass life and seems to be good and consistent ammo in my rifles. Midway has the LCD Set in stock right now. That will get you going for quite some time, and then when you have to start bumping shoulders just pick up a 280-AI Redding Body Die and you are all set.

I have done this for several of my chamberings I load for and it is a great and easy way to load for those Ackley chambers and other improved designs.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Another plus, I have a LCD for my 6.8 SPC. I'm currently waiting on a Black Hole Weaponry 22x6.8 wildcat. All I need to do to resize 6.8's to 22x6.8 is insert a .25 caliber, and then a .22 caliber collet and I'm set. No need to buy another set of dies. They're great for resizing cases from one caliber to another.
    And as Boots mentioned NO LUBE NEEDED!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be adding LCD to my list. Can't beat the price for the two die kit vs the other dies I have looked at.

Savage6x284
    As Boots said, the LCD combined with a Redding body die is an unparalleled combination.

You can spend ten times more and not get better results.

TC260
    LCD, Redding body die and a Wilson seater is my favorite combo

Quote Originally Posted by TC260 View Post
    LCD, Redding body die and a Wilson seater is my favorite combo
    I bought most of my dies in the last 5 years, and the Redding bushing 3 die set die and Wilson Seater are a great combo.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]