Thread: The new wildcats

The new wildcats

*PLEASE NOTE:

These loads/methods were developed from published loading manuals. They were safe in the rifle tested on the day they were shot. Neither the author nor anyone else represent that they are safe, and we will accept no liability if you blow yourself up. Furthermore, we resent the litigious nature of some members of our society who create the need to accompany all loading charts with this stupid notice. There. That being said, I feel better now.

I love that disclaimer!! I also borrowed it from someone else that I don't remember anymore.

Since there has been so much interest in these wildcats lately I thought I would post how I make them. I haven't messed with this in several years until all this interest woke it up. I got out my die sets and started experimenting with them to see what the easiest method for forming the brass is so I can write it up here for those are interested.

I made these up several years ago when me and a guy named Outlawkyote started experimenting with small bore barrel burners.....I say we....he was doing it before I was.....so I blame him for all this!!! The 224 caliber in particular was where we played the most. He was/is a big fan of the 22/243 Middlestead and is probably the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to that cartridge. As his name implies....he's a big time coyote buster. Extremely high velocity small bore bullets in the lighter weights would instantly kill a coyote without much pelt damage because the bullet wouldn't exit.......WAAAYYYY out there!

Sometime while we were doing all that I became aware of this wildcat that was made from the 6.5x55 Swede. I did not originate it but read about it somewhere on the net. If I could remember where, I would give credit where credit is due. I also read about the Vais line of wildcats based upon the same concept but decided the BR reamer was the way I wanted to go with my cat. No special dies or reamers were required. Some throating maybe, but that was it. The one I read about was in 6.5....it was a type of improved Swede that whoever it was I read about was trying to see if it would compete with the 6.5x284.

The concept of using a 6.5 BR reamer though caught my attention and since it would work in 6.5, it should work on any BR chambering.....22BR, 6mmBR, 25BR, 6.5BR...you get the idea. I tried it, and it worked like a champ.

Anyway, on to the forming of the brass. This is how I made the brass this afternoon:

I have several sets of dies that I use for various wildcat ideas. My favorite set is made by Hornady but I don't think they make this series anymore. It was just a die that was used as a universal neck sizing die for a single caliber. I have several of them. If you can find these dies I HIGHLY recommend using them instead of the method I'm fixing to tell you about.

The dies I ended up using this evening were 6mmBR Redding body die and the 22BR Redding body die. Final neck sizing was done using the regular die in both calibers.

I take the brass and lube the neck and shoulder area with imperial sizing wax (the best IMHO). Put the brass in the shell holder and raise the ram all the way up (handle all the way down). Then screw in the die until it stops on the case mouth. Lower the brass (raise the handle) just enough to turn the die in one turn. Lower the handle and the neck sizing should start slightly. Repeat that process incrementally until it is sized to JUST above the shoulder. So that there is a SLIGHT bulge left in the neck. If you try to do it all at once.....it will crush the shoulder most of the time. YMMV

The purpose of this is so that when the case is chambered there will be some resistance to closing the bolt. This causes the headspace to be tight. This way the brass is tight in the chamber and it is sealed. Once it is fired, the brass is formed to the chamber.

There is an article on using the false shoulder technique to form brass somewhere on the 6mmBR website....this is that same technique.

After that step, it is time to use a regular sizing die to size the neck to hold a bullet. The brass is now ready to load and fireform.

And remember....if you do it different and it works, GREAT!!! There is always more than one way to skin a cat!

BE SURE TO CHECK NECK CLEARANCE!!!!!

The diameter of the neck will need to be reduced if the neck is too tight! Don't blow yourself up trying to cut corners without neck turning if it is needed.

I'm not on this forum near as much as I use to be but will try to keep up with this post if there are any questions that I may be able to help with.

HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    After that step, it is time to use a regular sizing die to size the neck to hold a bullet. The brass is now ready to load and fireform.
    You mean a BR sizing die, don't you?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    My favorite set is made by Hornady but I don't think they make this series anymore. It was just a die that was used as a universal neck sizing die for a single caliber. I have several of them. If you can find these dies I HIGHLY recommend using them instead of the method I'm fixing to tell you about.
    Jim, are these the Hornady Neck Sizing Dies you speak of? I linked a 6mm as an example.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Dan:

That is correct.

Boots:

Yes!!! That's one of them. If I remember right, they had 8 different ones at one time. They may still make them then. Those are a wildcatters "easy dies".

They are perfect for simple neck up and neck down conversions.

Looked it up right after posting. They are all still made: Hornady neck dies

Yup, I just ordered one up last time I bought from Midway, haven't tried it yet but I figured my love for 6mm's it would come in handy.

IIRC there were 224, 243/6mm, 257, 6.5, 7mm, 308, and 338 caliber dies listed at Midway, and a couple of different lengths of some of them.

FYI they also listed the Hornady seating dies separately also. Those are great to for working with wildcats or standard stuff, very universal/interchangeable seaters.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Thanks!

I didn't know they sold the seating dies separately. I'll be buying a set then.

Hey Boots, how did you make out with my approach to your 6mm WSM pressure woes.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Still been to cold to go find out. I was planning on loading some up this afternoon and getting ready, I may just say to heck with it and brave the cold tomorrow.

Speaking of the false shoulder method....used in conjunction with COW fireforming:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...thout-bullets/

I am not buying the part about no barrel wear, and for what seems to be the few times I get to shoot, I would rather fireform in the field.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Me neither but it has all the basic stuff in the article.

Got some pics:

Standard 6.5x55, the blown out improved version, and the big 50 HPDT