Thread: What Barrel for .300 Win Mag

Basic Member

What Barrel for .300 Win Mag

Hi all I'm looking for some input on a new barrel on my Savage Model 111 in .300 Win Mag.
    It's my hunting rifle first and I would like it as a long range shooter second. My questions are
    what contour, what twist and what length would be best for what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help .
    kev350
    (Kevin)

This is just my opinion , I would run a cbi light varmint 26" tops for a carry around hunting rifle , with 1:9 or 1:10 twist depending on bullets you could throw heavy long bullets for ld work

Basic Member
    I did CBI 28" varmint 1:10

I second bushwackr's recommendations. You might also consider fluting the barrel to shave a little weight if your hunting style requires lugging it around a fair amount.

Basic Member
    Went through the same process as you are a couple months ago. This is what I did.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Delivery-Time

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WYcoyote View Post
    Went through the same process as you are a couple months ago. This is what I did.

How's it shooting?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WYcoyote View Post

Nice I like that set up I believe I'll be ordering in the next few weeks. Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
    How's it shooting?
    If anything resembling spring happens I'll find out. !5" of snow and -35` wind chills this weekend.
    But that will give me time to put it on the B&C Medalist stock that came today that I picked up from the Classifieds.
    I believe I need to do some dremel work to get the Accutrigger to fit.

6.5labs
    I have a 6.5 x284 for the exact same purpose. I bought a shillen varmint contour barrel 26 in. Long thinking more for the range side of things. I recently cut it down to 21 in and am very happy with the way it carries and shoots. It is still a bit heavy but it is the closest to a happy medium i can come up with.

I have a McGowen 300WM 30" 12 twist that shoots everything from, 110 Vmax @ 4400fps with a full load of RL17, to 208 Amax @ 3200fps with a full load of RL25, all with 1/2" or better grouping now that is a versatile rig.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Just got a call from NSS stating my special order CDI shipped. I went with a bead blasted and threaded 26" 1:10 twist...wait time wasn't too bad either.