Thread: Stevens 200 (Trigger help?)

Basic Member

Stevens 200 (Trigger help?)

I'm planning on building off of this Stevens 200 action in 308 WIN. This is my first build and I want to start with the trigger and try to get all I can out of this factory setup that I can. I'm a rookie in regards to triggers but I'm mechanically inclined (or at least I like to think so.) I was looking at the SAV-1 from Rifle Basix and just wanted to get confirmation if this would work on my rifle or not. Other advice is appreciated also. I want to eventually re barrel this with a heavy barrel but would obviously have to buy at stock at that time also. Short term goal is to shoot good at 300 yards and hopefully move on out to 600 yards down the road.

Basic Member
    Rifle Basix Sav-1 is a very good trigger for hunting and recreational target. Easy to install. All you do is pop out that pivot pin and remove the old, insert thew new, replace pin. Takes 2 mins. Then you play around with a few adjustable screws to get the safety working right along with the pull wt you want and over travel, etc. Should get it done in 10 mins tops. I really like mine.

I also have a Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger on order. I hear they are even nicer, a few dollars more. They will be a little better, I am told. Neither would be difficult to install.

Check with Fred at SSS for Comp Trigger. Try Jim at Northland Shooter Supply for the Rifle Basix Sav-1. Both are supporters of this site. Great guys.

Basic Member
    Awesome... Thanks...

Basic Member
    Don't give up on the old trigger just yet, there are some things you can do to improve it quite a bit. Here are a couple of links to info on what and how to do it.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ent-Procedures
    The trigger pull weight is controlled to a great extent by the straight wire spring you see along the side of the trigger. You can replace it with a piece of music wire of .045 diameter, and can get that from http://www.ebay.com/itm/110421530557...84.m1439.l2649 and if you do, specify the size you want in the note to the seller. This particular seller has a list of wire by size and I ordered the size 20, which is the .045 diameter wire. If you search the archives, you can find where some of the guys just buy a buzz bait from walmart and cut a piece of that wire to replace the spring. The new triggers on the Stevens 200 are like the axis trigger and are very difficult to work with for me. I bought the Rifle Basix from Jim at NSS and it worked great on the newer 200 build.
    NRA Endowment Member

COplains
    Excellent timming!!! I just got this same action and started looking around to see what I could/couldn't do with it. Got lot's of old buzz baits laying around...laffin. kb

Wildboarem
    I bought my .045 wire at my local Ace hardware. I think fishing lure wire is heavier than the .045. What I actually bought was .048 I think. Helped a bunch.

Team Savage
    if you need some trigger wire let me know
    I will send you some

drybean

Basic Member
    I do need some.. I've search my house high and low and checked every buzz bait in my tackle box... Ha ha.. I will pm you my address dry bean... Thank you very much...

Basic Member
    Delete
    Last edited by se3388; 03-02-2014 at 12:41 AM.