Thread: after market recoil lugs

jjseman

after market recoil lugs

Has anyone installed an after market recoil lug on their rifles? If so, has that mod. increased your rifle's accuracy in any noticeable way? I know the theory behind why it should help, I would like to know the results that people have actually experienced, and if it's worth the money or just another way to throw away money. Thanks for your input!

broncbob
    I have used a Sharp Shooter Supply lug on every barrel I have changed. They are flat (the same can't always be said of the factory lug) and thicker than the factory lug.

As far as how much it had helped, I can't say. I haven't had a bad shooting rifle after a barrel change. I have used factory take off barrels and barrels from a few different barrel makers.

Savage6x284
    The thickness isn't the main benefit of the aftermarket recoil lugs.
    The main benefit, and the one that makes the $35 investment worth it is that they are precisely surface ground so the two faces are exactly parallel. Just like Broncbob pointed out.
    Does it make a discernible difference in accuracy? Very likely none that most humans would be able to notice but when the barrel and the action are screwed together without stress points here and there it can't be a bad thing.
    Besides, they look so much better than the punched out factory lugs that this alone makes it worth the small investment.