Thread: Bushnell g2drm or vortex, please help me decide..

Jason161

Bushnell g2drm or vortex, please help me decide..

So with much help and long nights reading and studying and watching videos nice got my rifle and everything I need but the scope.
    I have decided between the Bushnell Tactical Elite 3.5-21x50 G2DMR scope, and the Vortex viper PST 6-24x50 scope . I can't get the viper today for $800 out the door. It has zero stops, illumination and good glass.
    The Bushnell is $1250-1400. It does not have illumination. Does have a great reticle and glass.
    I know at these tactical matches I won't really use illumination but I'm not sure if the Bushnell is worth it when I get the whole package for $800. I'm not sure if I'll be wishing I had the extra features of the viper if I go with the Bushnell.
    Keep in mind my original budget was $5-600. I doubled it almost for the viper at $950(now I can get it used for 800), then raised it again for the Bushnell lol. I'm willing to pull the trigger today And need to get one soon before this long range clinic in april. I just am not in a situation to spend any more then the Bushnell and I'm already at the mercy of my better half for her letting me spend more.
    These are the options, help me decide based on features and cost please!
    I know some of you wouldn't use either and would go with a NF or Schmidt but that's not going to happen for me so put yourself in my spot and let me know which what you would choose?
    Again this is for long range tactical matches out to 1k yards and just fun long range shooting by myself.

The PST is a fine optic, and would suit you well.

The HDMR is "better". It is more robust, has a better reticle (IMO), and better glass. It is a heavy beast, though.

Is it worth the price difference? Only you can decide.

Having used an HDMR, it is definitely an improvement on my Viper HS-T 4-16x...but for MY intended uses the HS-T suits me just fine. The fact I can get two for the price of one HDMR certainly helps. But if I were running a comp gun, I'd probably choose the HDMR.

Also, contact Scott @ Liberty Optics...his pricing on Bushnells is the best you will find.

Jason161
    This is something I am wondering. And thank you for your review and help.
    If I'm taking part in these monthly tactical matches for fun as I'm a new shooter, the PST will work. But if I get serious the Bushnell would be a little better and love the reticle. However not sure if I'll miss the features of the pst. I'm not sure if I'll even use them to be honest besides the zero stops.
    I would also hate to grow out of the PST in a year and wish I had the Bushnell.

Basic Member
    For what its worth here is my two cents. I went through this last year (same brands but different models) and ended up with the vortex only because of what was available at the time. Keep in mind that there is a big difference between the bushnell ET35215G and the ET35215GZA. That being said there is less demand for the bushnell you are looking at so if you decide you don't like it or want to move up you may lose a little more money. On the other hand if you get the vortex and decide to sale it for whatever reason I think you will recoup more of your money. Another thing. I don't know if bushnell still has the (if you don't like it return it within one year and we'll give you your money back) plan or not but thats another consideration. By the way I love my vortex razor!
    Sorry I can't read my own writing. should have been a "5" not a "s".
    Last edited by chukarmandoo; 03-05-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: corrected the serch numbers

Jason161
    What do you mean big difference? I tried to Google those model numbers but nothing.
    Yeah I'd love a vortex razor but those are out of my pricerange.

There is PLENTY of demand for the HDMR.

It is less popular than the PST because its 1. newer and 2. more expensive. In fact, a number of PST owners sold their scopes to finance HDMRs or the newer ERS models.

Jason161
    Yes seems like the hdmr is moving up. On the what the pros use spreadsheets for 2013 on snipers hide the new Bushnell's are very popular.

Basic Member
    Okay heres what happened with me last year. I wanted the bushnell 3.5-21 but as I searched it was $1500 (older model). the new model that came out last year was $2100 and not in stock. The new Vortex Razor was in stock and I got it for $1750. Now the older bushnell is down to 1250. I know we're talking 2 different scopes here but just letting you know. And yes the bushnell is great and you'll really like it but I don't really know if its worth the extra money?

Jason161
    I see. So wondering that myself.. Plus on eBay PST keeps going for $850-900 used so at $800 I can probably get all my money back or close to it if I decide to upgrade. I dunno..I won't be able to have a scope to fall back on while waiting for new one so that leaves me unable to shoot while doing that..

Jason161
    Another thing, I cant find out if the Bushnell warranty is transferable. I cant get the bushnell for $1000 used.. On their site it says orignal owner for limited lifetime warranty...
    I dont know, I think the bushnell has better glass from what I gather and I can grow into the reticle and such. Im wondering in 6 months to a year will I wish I got a better scope then the PST, or will it be fine and I can send $200-300 I save on reloading equipment.

Tantor
    Two friends and myself have Vortex scopes. They teach long range precision shooting classes and we have no problems shooting out to 1000+ yrds. I have the Viper PST 6-24-50 and they both have the Razor. Everyone's eyes are different so get what's good for you and your eyes, clarity wise.