Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My New 50 Cal Wildcat

Basic Member

Good reminder on the early post. I settled on 2.655 for my length and with light to moderate loads, I haven't had to full length size the brass and haven't seen it grow in length yet either. I will be developing some Thumping loads in the spring just for the younger guys to enjoy... I guess then I'll see what the brass growth is. This has been a fun experience so far. Jim
    NRA Endowment Member

Your Welcome

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

farmerben
    Got the seating and crimping figured out. Run it through the full length size about half inch and then bell slightly to get bullet in mouth. Use bullet seater to set oal and then favtory crimp. Works well. Tried Deans fill ot to the top and add bullet. It holds 100 grains of H335. That going to be roo much?

Basic Member
    My best guess is 78-82grains will be max. Though I haven't tried h335 myself. The cases seem to bulge too much with super max loads. Making extraction via wooden mallet the order of the day. At least this has been the outcome for me.

I'm thinking 4064 or 4320 might do the full case but not sure if it will bulge? Tac certainly did when I tried 97.5 grains. Sure would be close..

I did a full case of H335 with 250gr bullet, so I would go a little less or a full case of a slower powder.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

farmerben
    This was a 325 grain bullet.

I would go with some H4895 or something close to that.

Dean

Basic Member
    So far with 350 & 400 gr bullets my best loads have been 82gr ramshot tac and 78gr of rl7 might get rl7 up a couple more grains but 82 was tough to get out.

I had decent results with 5744 @62gr but would still prefer to find the perfect full case powder.

The smokeless muzzleloaders seem to have a slight advantage with max loads.

The barrels definitely good to go and on par with the 50 B&M. The cheaper brass and off the shelf dies are a bonus.

10 firings seems to be about it for the brass with these loads. Which is awesome really.
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Team Savage
    I ran 85 grains of H335 with a 335 grain bullet and no signs of over pressure...still had a good bit of room left...

Basic Member
    I've been playing with swaged bullets in this beast, I'm using 45ACP brass fully annealed after turning the rim off and tapering the remaining metal around the primer pocket. One of my cast 340 grain 45-70 bullets nose first into the open case, with a gas check placed over the end. Home machined swaging die with a finished diameter of .5015. Nose punch makes a SWC type nose. The bullets are coming out at 437 grains with the addition of the 45acp case and a 50 cal gas check on the other end. I end up with a full metal jacket with a hollow point nose where the primer pocket was on the case. I haven't had a chance to shoot any of them yet, Probably another week before the weather gets good enough here for that.
    http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1423961818
    NRA Endowment Member

Team Savage
    I need a step by step thread with pics. That is so awesome.

Basic Member
    I'll do a workup tomorrow and try to post it. Its been lots of fun so far, just letting my imagination flow...
    NRA Endowment Member

Team Savage
    Well I acquired a lathe, have the 50 thumper, and a ton of 45acp brass so I'm in.

Basic Member
    If I can get throught the ice here to get to the shop, I'll take some pictures and measurements of what I made up. 50 cal makes it easy, lots of off the shelf .50 reamers available, I machined the die body, drilled the through hole the diameter of the stem used to push the base forming portion of the die out the bottom, then drilled the die cavity slightly smaller than the desired dimension, and using a .500 reamer and some good cuting oil, I finished reaming the body. Then using some Diamond paste and a wooden dowel, I did the final polish to .5015. That portion took a while to get done, I work slow. The nose punch I made from some pretty hard stock, I cut the bullet nose forming portion by boring it while in the lathe. I started with a twist drill that I reprofiled and sharpened, then polished the nose cavity using scotch brite pad material again on the end of a dowel. After getting it to the dimension I wanted, I heated it to cherry red, to the non magnetic state, then quenched it in oil. I have a Blue Oven, and put it in the oven at 475 degrees for about three hours and then let it cool inside the oven. Once out, I polished the inner and outer surface using scotch brite pads and oil. So far, I haven't seen any cracking or distortion of the nose punch so maybe I got it right. Havng that lathe will really spoil you. I assume it will do threading. I've been using an old Craftsman 12 inch lathe that I bought new in the early '70s. That is the machine I used when gunsmithing years ago. The only issue with it is the small diameter thru hole in the headstock. For most barrel work, I had to do it between centers as I couldn't get the barrel through the headstock. I have two mills, one is an old horizontal mill, and the other is a Harbor Freight mill. It surprised me at what it is capable of, but you do have to work it over to keep tolerances where they need to be. Jim
    NRA Endowment Member

Team Savage
    Thanks for the write up. Yes I bought a south bend model 9a and have successfully threaded and chambered a 338 edge. Only had the lathe a month and have learned a lot so far. Mine only has a 3/4" hole through the headstock as well. Have to chamber and thread on the steady rest. I am very interested in doing this. Thanks for sharing.
    Nick

Basic Member
    Sent you a PM
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member

Here is the die and punch for swaging the 50 cal bullets, works with lead or 45ACP as jackets

When using 45acp brass, trim the rim off and taper the head to make your HP nose

http://s482.photobucket.com/user/bli...tored.jpg.html
    Anneal the 45ACP brass after turning the rim off

Here is the jacket, core and gas check in the nose punch ready to swage

Here is the bullet after swaging to .5015

http://s482.photobucket.com/user/bli...woswc.jpg.html
    These are the FMJHP, and two half jacket SWC from 45acp in the opposite direction.
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    Any thoughts on 2400 for this? Guy I work with mentioned having some. I get a little skittish with the faster burning powder seems like it should work. I just have no idea where to start maybe 500 Magnum max load?

The more I look it doesn't seem to push the heavier bullets real well. Probably a non starter for me. So far I like the 400gr category best.
    Last edited by sixonetonoffun; 04-11-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Team Savage
    I have used 2400 in my 50ae and 44 mag. I don't feel it performs as good as others. I prefer lil gun and h110 much more than 2400, but that's me. I talked to dean about using lil gun a good while back since I have a lot and was gonna start with 500 s&w max load and go from there. You should be able to run quite a bit more since you have probably 50% more case capacity or there about. Do share what you find out please.

Nick

Basic Member
    Be careful with reduced loads with WW-296 and its clones. Isn't H-110 the same powder? It gets squirley and flat out dangerous with loads reduced too much. A better choice to me would be IMR-4198 if you want a faster burning powder. I'm still using IMR-4895 for my experimentation, but plan on going to 4198 next. A quick and dirty way I use is to take the water grain capacity of the Thumper and the water grain capacity of another round like the 500SW and calculate the percentage that the 500 is of the thumper. Then take a published load for the 500 and massage the load by that percentage up, staying with the same bullet weight and then reduce by 10% and work up from there. So far, that has worked OK for me, but you're on your own if you follow in my footsteps. Definitely post your results for us. Jim
    NRA Endowment Member

If you want to fire reduced loads, H4895 can be reduced down to 60% from max, and there are Trail Boss loads on Hodgdon's site.

Dean

PS: don't forget to put a cotton ball Kleenex or something, to take up they empty void in the case.

Basic Member
    Makes sense. With the 5744 62gr was about as far as I was comfortable with and it got squirrels on me about 67gr +-. The 2400 I'd predict to come up with slightly less then the 5744. But I'm running short on rl7 so I'd like to give it a run. Maybe use up my 350xtp's.
    Last edited by sixonetonoffun; 04-13-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo

Team Savage

My New 50 Cal Wildcat

Blitzfike-
    Yes w296 is the same as h110. And you are correct about using them downloaded. I like you idea comparing case capacity to load. Would be a very easy proportion to calculate.

What is everyone's favorite powder to use in this? I have only used 4895 and h335.
    Last edited by SUTTERERMAN85; 04-12-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Basic Member
    So far RL7 has been very good for me.
    5744 was good and would probably be excellent with 300gr or less. Nice sharp shotgun like recoil.

TAC did well and leads me to believe 4064 and RL15 can't be over looked. Though most of us horde this range of powders for 223/308 use.

Speeds of 2350 ish was my goal and so far RL7 has delivered but accuracy seems less consistent at higher fps. At least with the 350xtp's. My loading process may leave room for improvement here.

There doesn't seem to be many powders that flat out fail. Finding ones that efficiently deliver the 2500 fps with 400gr pills seems to be the challenge.

Can't wait to hear how you guys are doing with the brass swagged 440's.
    Last edited by sixonetonoffun; 04-13-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Basic Member

350gr XTP RL7

Here is a few results as I continue to work up to a full case of RL7. All using 350gr XTP's

RL7 78gr
    Avg. 2227 es 69 sd 22

RL 79gr
    Avg. 2281 es 69 sd 27

RL7 80gr
    Avg. 2312 es 24 sd9

Looks like a node here? We'll see... still going up will see if I can hit a full case or not. Maybe the next time out?
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast