Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: My New 50 Cal Wildcat

Basic Member

Bullets

500gr FP/XTP
    400gr JSP
    375gr XPB
    350gr XTP

[QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Basic Member

Scud jr.

[QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    That's a lot less like a brick than those we've been shooting. Let us know how the accuracy is with these. I can see a new nose punch being made to emulate this in my swaged bullets.. Jim
    NRA Endowment Member

That is a beautiful thing, I have told some on lookers at the range, that they were 50 BMGs and no one called me on it, especially after seeing the muzzle blast and the bark that that thing has.LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Guy from work is hooking me up with a jug of IMR3031 @ a price I couldn't believe. So if that materializes... I'll have a chance to see how that works out.

Those are nice but there is nothing like those big gaping holes those XTPs have, there like the grand canyon of hollow points.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Blitzfike that would be a serious bullet!

If you look close at the jsp you can see why its shape gives it a better bc then either of the Hornady bullets. I really wish the Barnes came in a 400-450gr version!

I think yours can exceed the Barnes if you pull that off!

Basic Member
    So far no stellar results with the xpb's. The relation between the 350 xtp and 375 xpb with rl7 appears close velocity wise less 1gr for the xpb. But with a gotcha. Pressure seems to be higher with the xpb. Haven't done a rl7 work up completely yet. Will look for a node between 2250 & 2350 @2367 with 82gr rl7 flattened the crap out of fed215 primers all but backing them out!

TAC is just a tad slow but I went up to 89grs and wasn't impressed with the results avg. 2174 with es 46 sd 19 rem 9 1/2 primers. I will try another 1/2-1gr but the result isn't likely to be worth the effort as pressures coming up here.

Basic Member
    For giggles I tried the online Powley computer to get a 3031 load. Had to play with it a little to not get the use a faster powder message.

It does look like the potential to reach 2350 with a 375gr bullet is there @49000 PSI. Just have to wait n see if the xpb will cooperate.

Basic Member
    Was out trying a few loads today. Fired a round extracted it. Turned to get the next one as I slide it in out walks a deer. Right up to my target then causally walks behind it stopping briefly to look around. It was an awesome view in 4x cross hairs!!! Filled the view completely. Hope to get that view again in November!

At 79grains of RL7 am just @2284 ES 19 SD 8. Plan is to shoot 78, 78.5, 79, 79.5 figure theres a node in here somewhere.

Definitely on the max end here. The XPB has nearly as much base to canelure as the 500 FP/XTP and more beyond the canelure. Forcing charges to be more like the heavier 500 then the 350 & 400's.

Basic Member
    Did see some 270gr powerbelt magnums while in town today picking up some patches and primers.

Really wanted to try em but... just didn't know what to make of that belt business.

That and gun money has to go to essentials while they are available.

Basic Member
    While searching for a powder to use with the Barnes bullets. I came to the conslusion that anything that works well in 458wm works well In the 500/375.

Bullet weights available are same same for the most part. Velocities are somewhat simular just slightly lower for the 500/375. Keeping in mind the 458wm has been subjected to 100-150 fps down loading.

Much like the 7rm though I believe for the 458wm it had more to do with old ammo and powder degradation.

Basic Member

Barnes 375xpb + RL7

Still working on this load am close to calling it good. Want to try a slightly slower powder yet... but haven't as of yet.

3-shots each all lit by rem 9 1/2 primers.

375XPB & 78.5gr RL7
    Avg. 2276 ES 7 SD3

375XPB & 79gr RL7
    Avg. 2284 ES 19 SD 8

375XPB & 79.5 gr RL7
    Avg. 2341 ES 14 SD6

Will try 78 & 78.5 see which shoots best. Velocity doesn't come easy with these bullets. Rather it does but the penalty is pressure. With RL7 2250-2275 FPS is pretty much as good as it gets. Really wanted to see 2350 with single digits but its not going to happen with this powder bullet combo.

Basic Member
    Ran the 78 & 78.5 loads. Again with rem 9 1/2 primers.

375gr XPB & 78gr RL7
    Avg. 2259 ES 17 SD 7

375gr XPB & 78.5gr RL7
    Avg. 2272 ES 10 SD 4

Still on the hot side but I really don't want to go any slower unless they just won't group. Overall @ 100yards these aren't as impressive as the price. Though I'm sure anything hit is going down or coming off.

Starting to think the Swift AF or Speer DeepCurls might be better bang for the buck.

The Lehigh Defense brass bullets might be worth a look. Maybe the brass wouldn't get so crazy much pressure for weight as the copper? Copper seems to start out about 100 or more fps slower then conventionals.

Basic Member
    For the fun of it I drilled one of the 375XPB's out and seated a 55gr .224 tipped Nosler bullet inside. Couldn't get if perfect but it was sort of proof of concept for a "controlled expansion higher bc bullet". Looks promising but I won't mess with it anymore without a lathe. My 5/8 drill isn't as concentric as I thought. Weighs 390grs +- and has a lovely orange tip. Something else I didn't know I needed! A mini lathe?

Team Savage
    Don't waste your time on a mini lathe. I know a guy...he doesn't have it anymore. I picked up an old south bend 9" for $200 more than a new mini lathe. Can thread, profile, and chamber barrel blanks and have built 2 suppressors so far. Waiting on another stamp for a 3rd.

On another note, thanks for all the testing you have done and sharing with us all.

Nick

Basic Member
    Nick sounds like you really went down the rabbit hole . Been reading your posts... maybe someday.

I was thinking small for small jobs like trimming these cases cleanly and precisely. Maybe turning a few brass bullets... adding bands to the barnes to make seating them long and tight easier.

I'm not from a manufacturing background so there is a learning curve involved. That and my wiring hasn't been updated . Anything requiring big amps is out for at least a couple years. Rural life ain't it grand? House was built in the 90's er 1890's..i'm 4th generation. House didn't have electricity until the 1950's. Hasn't been touched since. It's on my bucket list though. No clue if gen5 will keep the place but... would like to leave it better then I get. Real pink elephants do exist!

Figure someday when we collectively have some hard data maybe a pure load topic could be started simular to the hides maybe? Though would have to run it past management. Other options are readily available.

Team Savage
    The mini lathe will work for what you are wanting to do. I had the same thoughts and once I started learning how to use it I out grew it very fast, lol. I work on helicopters and grew up working on just about anything, cars, boats, motorcycles etc. I had no machining background either. Kinda the same thing when you have to fix something that is broken that you are unfamiliar with. YOUTUBE is dangerous, lol.

My 9" only has a 1/2 hp motor and runs off a std 110 volt wall plug.

Its pretty cool you live in a family house like that.

I need to get my thumper out soon. Been too long. I have been bitten by the suppressor bug and its bad!

Basic Member

Rough but ya get the idea?

Basic Member
    So the biggest issue I have with the XPB's is the length. Being made to shoot out of a revolver. They would be fine in a controlled feed action. But pushing I come out short for firing or long for the mag. Ideal savage action would be a rum with controlled feed.

Can single feed short rounds loading into the claw and they extract fine. This is fine at the bench... but completely useless in the field.

Basic Member

Importance of choosing correct velocities

The 350 XTP launched at 2490 fps.
    The 400 JSP lauched at 2200 fps.

The difference between catastrophic failure and perfect expansion is not so far apart. Choosing velocity for which the bullets designed for is very important.

Can't wait to try the 325gr AF's maybe they will offer more in the velocity catagory and less in the catastrophic failure pit.

Basic Member
    Shot the 375gr XPB, RL7 78.5 load with federal 215 M primers. Stll very flat but no piercing or backing out. Probably -.1 or -.2 on the charge would be good to go.

I tried 1 deep seated bullet literally sat in the case. Not sure what to make of it exactly but it was the most accurate depth of the rounds fired. 1" from poa vs 3" @ the canelure and 4" .061 off the rifling. Fluke?

Will revisit the idea of deep seating but it presents some challenges with respect to feeding and headspace.

For today I only wanted to verify if the load was safe for the softer primers. Which it appears to be.

Basic Member
    My latest experiments have been with virtually no crimp, fast powder and deep seated bullets. I can maintain head space better with that, and I've given up feeding from the magazine, I single feed each round. The slower powders are too erratic without crimp, depending on which bullet I am using as to how much neck tension I get. I'm going to try some of the RL-7 loads and see what they do for me here. Thanks for the good test info.
    NRA Endowment Member

Basic Member
    Admittedly I wasn't sighted in for the load. But it was a suprise. Agree single feeds best without using a controlled feed action. Otherwise each bullet would require its own brass or adjustment to headspace.

Basic Member
    I need to get a more precision trimming method setup for this. Seems like I try to keep at 2.62 and wind up half of the time burning past to 2.61-2.615. tolerance is a bit tigher then that. The sweet spot seems to be .003 or tighter.

Was considering turning the sizer die up enough to leave a slight bump at the base to see if that would add just enough tension to prevent slipping forward to far. Yet still be able to close the bolt.

I saw ammoguide lists 50 b&m long loads with the 375gr xpb. Might have to subscribe to get a peak at what powders were used. Claim max loads from 2360-2450 with them from an 18" 18tw barrel.
    My best load pressure wise has been 2270+

Hitting 2450 would yield 5,000 ft/pounds of energy :-) Starting to think 2450fps will be a milestone worthy of achieving.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast