Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My New 50 Cal Wildcat

Basic Member

I have a couple questions/concerns.

1st looking at .50 cal pistola bullets in 350 and 400 gr it appears they are rated for velocity @1800 reportedly at 2100 or so they reach terminal velocity. Jackets loosen resulting in a splatt on target assuming it hits at all.

2nd with the pressure involved won't these bullets swell excessively into the rifling adding to the jacket separation issue, copper fouling and.excessive wear to the rifling.

3rd.in order to mag feed smoothly and safely the seated.bullets would have to be crimped into the seating grooves with such force the fired cases may not be reloaded without substantial reworking. Perhaps coming up short in the end?

Still very interested in this wildcat and how to cope with these potential snags.

1st I use a 20 twist instead of a 18 twist, which is what a 500 S&W comes in, so that will slow them down rpm wise, and if you use those XTPs they hold together pretty good.

2nd there is actually less pressure in a rifle, "you don't need as hot of powder since" you are using 24" of barrel instead of 6" to get to the same 1500 to 2000 fps, mine is a 30" barrel

3rd I don't really know the exact dynamics, but straight wall cases have been used since the beginning, and there are far more potent calibers out there, and they do not seem to have that problem, IE: all those Nitro, Gibbs, Rigby, A square, and other large calibers made for slaying monsters.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

HotGuns
    That .50 round does remind me of the .50 Razorback of which I have built several. It'll go all the way to the 750 grain BMG rounds and like this one it was designed to be economical.
    Got any pics of the rifle? I'd like to see one.

There is a pic of the round in they OP, as far as the rifle goes I will try and post one but it is nothing special, it's a Stevens 200 action with a Stocky's thumbhole and a $99.00 Crossfire, I can't slam it cause it always get's the job done, I am actually pulling the barrel off of my 264 WinMag, which hurts as much as I am excited about this new barrel.

Dean

PS: it is a .501 dia pistol 50 cal, opposed to the .510 rifle caliber.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

HotGuns
    I just got a .501 barrel blank in today. I'm going to turn it into a .500 S&W rifle just to shoot subsonic 500 grain bullets through a suppressor.

This is what I am going to be shooting out of this thing, they are 300gr Hornady FTX, they have the BC of a brick, although in it's defense it will also feel like being hit by a cinder block, so it is a good trade off, that behind 95gr of H322 "that's all that would fit" and a 30" barrel should produce close to 3000 fps.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by scope eye; 05-08-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Team Savage
    very interesting.. did you shoot it yet

Quote Originally Posted by pighunter284 View Post
    very interesting.. did you shoot it yet
    No I have not, and it is killing me.LOL

Dean

Basic Member
    Can't wait for a range report.

Team Savage
    That looks awesome. I have a couple .50AE Ar15 and want to use the .375 ruger case shortend to fit in my DPMS .308 and open the bolt. Very cool.

I have seen many a 50 cal in my life, just not on a Savage action it looks disproportionate, especially beside the 22 X 55, and no I have not shot it, for reasons I don't want to get into.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

One thing I wanted to mention is how light it is, even though it is a heavy Varmint, since the barrel is so hollowed out it is as light as a sporter.

Dean

I wonder how well the scope is going to hold up... ;-)
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Quote Originally Posted by richhelton View Post
    I wonder how well the scope is going to hold up... ;-)
    Are you insinuating, my $99.00 crossfire is not up to the task, actually if it holds up for the first 10 to 12 shots, it means I am good to go with this scope, at least that has been my experience with these scopes anyways, if it does come apart then a SWFA SS it is.

Dean

Basic Member
    Will you go shoot the thing already and give us some range results! I'm interested to see how this all turns out!

emtrescue6
    She looks perty....NO GO SHOOT IT ALREADY DARNIT! :cantstandthewait:

Time to man up and pull the trigger, you aren't afraid of it already are you?
    #scaredycat #shootswithshoulderpads
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

What it basically comes down to is, here in Mass you need a LTC even for long rifles, and It takes north of 6 months to get one, "I am still waiting" so here I have LTC in 40 of the 50 states and here I can't even buy ammo, that's right you need a LTC to even buy ammo, and yes I am stuck here for a few more years, and they will not recognize any of the permits I have, Nice

Dean

emtrescue6
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    What it basically comes down to is, here in Mass you need a LTC even for long rifles, and It takes north of 6 months to get one, "I am still waiting" so here I have LTC in 40 of the 50 states and here I can't even buy ammo, that's right you need a LTC to even buy ammo, and yes I am stuck here for a few more years, and they will not recognize any of the permits I have, Nice

Dean
    That explains it....I have an apartment in Boston (I work there) but live in Michigan (it's a heck of a commute)....I couldn't live in Massivetwo****s

Basic Member
    That barrel does remind me of the .410 leaning behind the back door!

Luke45
    dean you gotta get outa there and get to a free state! most of us have never even had to register a long gun by law, or need any type of permission besides being of age and not being a felon to purchase any gun or ammo (other than suppressed or full auto). Come be my neighbor and well burn some barrels out

could there possibly be a loophole since the barrel isnt considered a firearm that you could screw the barrel into an action you already have the serial number registered or approved?

It is not only the gun that you register it is also yourself, believe you me I know, I gotta get out of here and my days are numbered here but, I am stuck here for now, Liberty started here and also ended here,

Dean

Basic Member
    So researching loads and boolits for this it seems very versatile. Load levels from 45-70 cast loads to 458 win mag to nearly full house 458 Lott loads. Really I don't see a down side. Except perhaps scope life. Seriously considering the Nikon African seems to stand as good a chance of surviving as anything. Will probably start with a 40 year old weaver classic 400 4x.that road a 7mm rm its entire life. But the eye box isn't real forgiving so it will have.to get swapped out eventually.

Once you take of that 7mm it is never going back on,LOL

Dean

Good news for 50 Thumper clan, or fence sitters, yes our favorite cartridge is also available in short action, same length as a WSM or 308 so no internal box or mag change, I figure it will have about 75 to 80 % of they energy of the full load one, which is still more than you will ever need, there are also Trail Boss loads that are available, there is also a mini Thumper available in 223 length and 30-06 length in long action, all you need is 375 or 416 Ruger brass 500 S&W dies and .501" pistol bullets.

Dean

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast