Thread: Savage edge 204 build

Basic Member

Savage edge 204 build

Im looking at doing a build using my savage edge .223. i want to rebarrel it using either a mcgowen or criterion barrel in 204ruger. Is this a good action to build from? Let me know thoughts and opinions. Thanks

n4ue
    Hi Remingtonman. I have a bunch of Axis rifles and they are great platforms for building what you want.
    For example:
    - .221 Fireball from .223 Rem. Just set the bbl back and used the correct reamer.
    - .223 AI from .223. Easy with the AI reamer
    - .22-204 Ruger. This was a fun project. Took a .223 Rem bbl and ran the .223 AI reamer in until the .204 R case fit correctly. Folks wrongly think this is the old .222 Mag. It's not. It's an Ackley Improved version of that ctg.
    - 6.5 TCU. Took a new SS .223 Rem Axis rifle, pulled the bbl and replaced it with a McGowan SS 24" bbl.

Why the .221 FB and the 6.5 TCU?? I have cases, dies, etc for the handguns I have in those calibers and wanted a matching rifle. Besides, the muzzle blast from an .221 FB XP-100 (10" bbl) gets old fast.

ron

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. my next question is, since the axis/edge have a recessed recoil lug integrated into the stock, does this make bedding the rifle more difficult than a standard 110 or 10 action with a standard recoil lug design?

n4ue
    Hi, I have never found the need to bed any of my Axis rifles. I only did it to my M700 Varmint Special (.243) when I changed stocks.
    I'm NOT saying it won't help, but....we have no small varmints here in Fl. Since I have a private range, I can take my time, shoot slow and check my targets up close, frequently.
    I do have a couple of M12s that would be better for 'rapid' fire, but I take it easy with those too.
    I get bored real quick, so I don't think I've ever fired more than 15 shots in any one session.
    Call me strange, but I like putting the rifles together and reloading more than the actual shooting! ha ha

Don't forget the $1 trigger job, if you haven't done so already......

ron

Basic Member
    Could you tell me more about the $1 trigger job? I was thinking about putting a rifle basix trigger on it

Basic Member
    Hey Remingtonman !! The Edge/Axis action is a great set up with a McGowen barrel.. I have a Edge McGowen in 260 remington that shoots .525" 10 shot groups.. U won't be disappointed with a McGowen barrel...

cranebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Remingtonman View Post
    Could you tell me more about the $1 trigger job? I was thinking about putting a rifle basix trigger on it
    Look at his #11 post in the spring mod thread I started. I hope this helps.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Bunky-Shooter;253534]Hey Remingtonman !! The Edge/Axis action is a great set up with a McGowen barrel.. I have a Edge McGowen in 260 remington that shoots .525" 10 shot groups.. U won't be disappointed with a McGowen barrel...[/QUOTE

Sounds like you have a nice setup there Bunky, do you have any pictures of your rifle build? Also what kind of aftermarket stock did you use on your build?

Itsricmo
    For what it is worth, I have seen enough Savage Axis/Edge actions used for builds on here that I am under taking my own build based off my Axis action!
    Seems like it is just as good an action as any of the others and now that Boyds is offering stocks, there is even more a reason to upgrade the axis! :)