Thread: Muzzle Brakes, do they reduce recoil?

Unflappable

Muzzle Brakes, do they reduce recoil?

Do muzzle breaks really reduce recoil? If so by how much and are there differences between the different vendors? Who's brake gives the most reduction in recoil.
    I'm considering this for a 7mmWSM.
    thanks!
    Unflappable

Team Savage

Re: Muzzle Brakes, do they reduce recoil?

The larger the caliber, the larger the recoil reduction. .223? maybe a bit but not by much. 7mm WSM? You bet! Not like a 22RF but better on your shoulder.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

82boy

Depends on the design of it, but if designed right, yes.

Unflappable

thanks, so who makes the best design?

have a couple .220 swifts with brakes. the large 3 port brake intended for a full auto ar works well. can watch hits with scope set at 32X

any of the large port brakes will give a very noticeable recoil reduction and noise increase. JP is commonly called one of the best. big and ugly though.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I use compensators for action rifle. I have tried a number of different designs including the JP. For me, the Miculek compensator is the best compromise. If you have access to Front Sight magazine you can find comparison reviews.

Dick

Basic Member

the JP Large-Profile Tactical Compensators ,my 300rum recoils less than my 308 now

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

mil-dot

the person at the range shooting next to you will hate the muzzle brake.....

Basic Member

I have a 7MM mag with a removable brake and a cap when sighting in I use the brake, when huting I remove the brake and replace it with the cap. You can use it with a brake for hunting, but use hearing protection. If you ever shoot it w/o hearing protection with the brake. You will know what I am saying is gospel. And yes a brake will reduce recoil, depending on caliber and style. Two ports is OK, but 4 or more is better. As said already the JP brake is fantastic but ugly. Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

Basic Member

Iv&#39;e been looking at the new 6.5-284, how well do you guys feel that brake combo will work? I have gotton real recoil sensitive over the years and my .308 is about as much as i want in recoil anymore. Thanks, blue

Unflappable

Ourway77... The JP looks like just the ticket. I was thinking of doing the same as you and get a cap for when hunting. Did JP make the cap or did your gunsmith whip one up? Could the cap be made of aluminum (electrolosis be damned)?
    thanks,
    Unflappable

pphreed

Agreed on the JP brake just be aware they make 2 styles one is like a tank brake that is really large looking I don&#39;t have one but they claim it is the most efficient then they have a small and large profile one that ls not as large and bulky that I have one of each on 300RUM barrels and they both work really well

Harriershot

Centershotrifles.com has a very interesting brake, I would take a look at theirs as well.

Charlie