Thread: Axis mods

buckskins

Axis mods

Just picked up an Axis cambered 223 for predator hunting. Trigger modification is a must but I also want to mount a bipod but I'm reading here that it is a no-no without a stock mod or replacement. Decided on an Axis because of the cost and really don't want to go dumping more in to it. Anyone using a bipod with no stock mod? If so how's it working out..

stock mod or a boyds replacement stock.

Yes I have done all 3, bipod no-stock mod hmmm... not recommended, bipod with stock mod= improvement, and the best is boyds with bipod...

n4ue
    I have 8 Axis rifles (all with factory stocks) and although they have each had a trigger job, only 2 have had the stocks stiffened. One is 7mm-08 and the other is .243. This was done only to mitigate recoil. Every one of the Axis rifles has a bipod and ZERO problems.

Only Savage rifle I won't put a bipod on is the B Mag. Everyone knows about that POS stock!!

ron

Basic Member
    I have a new SS Axis 7mm-08 with a bi-pod and no stock mods, and so far I have'nt had any issues.

I've read on a couple of sites that if you are going to use a somewhat flexible synthetic stock with a sling mount type bi-pod, just be sure to use a bi-pod that pivots. It's when you are twisting and torquing the stock that the flex becomes the biggest problem. The factory Axis stock is very flexible. But, unless you are trying put the eye out on a coyote at 300 yards, your probably not going to notice the "Flex issues" very much anyway.

Basic Member
    I tend to agree with Rogeritall, I didn't even know I had a problem until I got to reading about it. I shot my .223 a fair amount off a bipod with no accuracy issues and I also shot it quite a bit off hand slung up with no issue. That being said, since I am a tinkerer like most everyone else here, I have done the stock mods and am very pleased.
    Mike

Sometimes people don't know they have a problem until they are advised.... Same with things we own, a problem or how much of a problem is probably defined by what we know. If we don't know about it then there is no problem as we know know better...

Philosopher Patrolit...

buckskins
    All good stuff. I guess I'll have to just give it a try unmolested and see how she shoots. Thanks for the input. Roy

buckskins
    Did trigger spring modification today. Hit the jackpot from my kitchen draw of a thousand pens. Found a spring that was the perfect length and weight. It even had a flare taper on one end that screwed perfectly into the hole in the trigger side. Can't identify pen. Just reads (china) on it. It's like it was custom made for the job. Can't tell what the pull is now (no scale) but can feel the difference. Did bounce test and all is well.

Topsail
    I use shooting sticks. Can place them close to the receiver where there is no flex.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
    I use shooting sticks. Can place them close to the receiver where there is no flex.

Ditto. Made a pair out of the graphite shafts of a couple of $1 Goodwill golf clubs and a piece of bicycle inner tube. Works like a charm.