Thread: brass life

Basic Member

brass life

::) I reload .223 with Lapua brass and was wondering how many times I could expect to cycle this brass? My loads are not anywhere near the max, although I am noticing my primers fit on the loose side. I neck size with very little tension, and have reloaded this brass 15 to 20 times. The bottom line is how do I know when to replace my brass? thanks in advance.

Uncle Jack

Re: brass life

When the primers start falling out and/or the necks start to split and/or you see signs of seperation at the base.

It sounds to me as if you have already gotten your moneys worth.

uj

kslefty

If super precision accuracy is not required a primer change can help you. I don't know what primers you are using but some fit tighter than others in my experience. Primers do not have to fall out to spook me, leakage around them is enough for me to junk the brass. Another check is to run a paper clip or small wire inside a few cases to try and feel for a "catch" right above the web area of your brass.

Team Savage

I've got BR brass that's been fired and resized maybe 15 to 20 times. I shoulder bump maybe .001 or .002 and neck size. I'll throw in a body size after 3 or 4 firings if the cases start getting tight in the chamber. The cases havn't been annealed yet.
    I just started annealing my .221 Fireball brass and switched from CCI SR primers to CCI BR primers. I noticed that the primers went in harder so there must be a
    "slight" difference in primer size. I don't think it had anything to do with the annealing. Other brand primers might be a different size. Not much but just enough to make a difference?
    Bottom line is the less you move the brass, the longer it will last.
    Like Uncle Jack said, I think you got your moneys wort out of the brass.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

dcloco

Different brands of primers have different outside diameters as well. Use CCI 400 or 450's at the point you are now. Have heard the WOLFE brand primers are a touch larger yet (can anybody confirm this?).

wapaloose

YUP they are.

Tightgroups

Birdie,unless your shooting in some type of competition, and are shooting 223, im not sure I would buy Lapua brass. 223 and 5.56mm brass is so cheap for once fired, you might be best to reload them 4 or 5 times and through them out. The last batch of once fired 5.56 I got off e-bay, and was only $10. for 250 rounds, you cant mess around much when its that cheap. But Lapua 6BR brass would be a different story.
    I wouldn't even mess with switching primers when you get loose pockets on 223 brass. And 15 to 20 reloads is vary good, but dont push your luck.
    Mike.

Basic Member

I can't even remember the last time Ebay sold brass. I know it has been a while though.

Here is about the best price on processed once fired brass:
    http://www.scharch.com/products.php?cat=9

I have friends who shoot a bunch of 223. They collect their brass and bring it to me. If that fails I pay $5 to hit the local range and pick up brass there after I ask the shooters if they are keeping it. Most times they are not so I get plenty on the days I hit the range.

As far as when to toss the brass, most have hit what I look for also. Loose primer pocket and they go as well any neck problems. I have recently started annealing my brass so hopefully that will cure some of my neck issues. None of my loads were close to max also and the first problems I was seeing are neck issues. I haven't had a chance to fire a few hundred of the annealed brass to see the annealing helped but I am sure it did.

Dolomite

RWO

FWIW this primer chart might help select a slightly larger primer. But I think you have gotten your money's worth.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

RWO

Tightgroups

Doloimite, I dont buy processed brass, if its military brass, and its processed, you cant tell if its once fired or not. I want to see the staked primer still in the case, then you know its once fired.
    No I haven't bought any 223 / 5.56 is a long time, much less from e-bay, but I must have 2 to 3000 223 cases, and dont shoot much 223 anymore. I'm sort of hung up on the BR calibers.

Basic Member

Scharch is a good company so I doubt they would be selling anything other than what they offer. By them selling only military stamped brass I am more apt to believe it. I know people can reload military brass also but this company only sells military brass so I doubt they are buying back 2x+ fired military brass from anyhere. It just seems unlikely that these are more than once fired, to me anyways.

Dolomite

Basic Member

I have purchased many thousands of rounds of brass from Scharch and have seen no indication that it was anything but what they advertised. I think they are the most reliable in the business.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Uncle Jack

If brass is truly "Military Surplus", it's most likely once fired. I know of no branch of the service that reloads ammunition with the possible exception of Marine Corp snipers.

uj