Thread: Boyd's Tacticool Stock for S/A DBM 4.40 cc Spacing

Team Savage

Boyd's Tacticool Stock for S/A DBM 4.40 cc Spacing

I was trying to order a Boyd's Tacticool stock and I am 99% sure the correct part number is 43A184D-1G-203 but the person I talked to insisted the hole to hole spacing was 4 7/16 which is 4.4375 rather than rounded to 4.40 which is the action I have. Has anyone ordered this stock and does it, in fact, fit the 4.40 DBM C/F S/A? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question and have a good day.

Basic Member
    yes. It is okay. The difference between the models are more distinct than that. I can't remember what they all are, but it will work. Different folks id them differently. Don't worry about it.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    yes. It is okay. The difference between the models are more distinct than that. I can't remember what they all are, but it will work. Different folks id them differently. Don't worry about it.
    Thanks foxx - I thought so but just wanted to be sure and not have to pay restocking fee and return shipping.

defoxer
    was comparing actions recently; noted the spacings for SA SF:CF are 4.26:4.39inch respectively....

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by defoxer View Post
    was comparing actions recently; noted the spacings for SA SF:CF are 4.26:4.39inch respectively....
    Not to be nit-picky, but 4.275" and 4.400" are the generally accepted values used.
    For additional information, please read: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths
    Last edited by thomae; 02-22-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Not to be nit-picky, but 4.275" and 4.400" are the generally accepted values used.
    For additional information, please read: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths
    Thomae this was the information I was relying on for my 4.40 figure and since their figure rounded to this I thought it would fit but then the salesman insisted it was not rounded it sort of confused me. After further research on the Boyd's site I find the S/A listed at 4.475 which rounds to 4.41. Since both of these figures are dancing around the 4.40 figure, and we are talking really small differences. I believe this stock will fit and I am going to order it and see.

thomae
    Sounds good.

I'm not really sure how you rounded 4.475 and ended up with 4.41, but I'm pretty sure you ordered the right stock.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I'm not really sure how you rounded 4.475 and ended up with 4.41, but I'm pretty sure you ordered the right stock.
    Hotolds442 - You are right. I should have rounded it to 4.48. It just never occurred to me the Boyd's website Action Length Guide and Known Variations would be that far off from any Savage action. Thanks for the help.

The main thing is you either have a stagger feed action, or a center feed action. When selecting a stock, that's the first pulldown window you get after choosing the manufacturer. If you choose the correct feed style there your bolt spacing will be correct and your stock will fit.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 02-22-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    The main thing is you either have a stagger feed action, or a center feed action. When selecting a stock, that's the first pulldown window you get after choosing the manufacturer. If you choose the correct feed style there your bolt spacing will be correct and your stock will fit.
    Yes and I should have stopped there but I started following the instructions and reading all of the dimensions closely and when they did not match up I became concerned. LOL me whose motto is "I don't need no stinking instructions". Many thanks to all who have helped and I will let you folks know if the stock fits or not.

Basic Member
    Only when all else fails do you read the instructions. LOL.

defoxer
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Not nit-pickity at all, my measurement could have probably been more precise perhaps.....

Jason161
    I just ordered a tacticool for my hog hunter 4.4 centerfeed and an accurate mag dBm and it slid right in and holes lined up. So I would venture to say your good.

Team Savage
    Greetings all - A big thanks to all who said the stock would fit. I ordered it and just received it. Put my barreled action in and a great fit all except (expletive deleted) the action bolts. On the way to the Ace for some longer 1/4 x 28 bolts. LOL guess I am gonna buy about 5 or 6 of every length they have up to 4 inches. At least when this is over I will have action bolts for any stock I may buy in the future. Just a small rant. All stock makers should be required to include the correct length bolts with the stock. Sure would make it easier on the customer. I can understand if I am bedding the stock then it would be on me. That is in the future all though if I understand the bedding process the bolt length will remain the same. Got a lot more reading on this forum before I attempt that.

Basic Member
    Glad it worked out- sort of.

I had that problem with screws once, then I saw somewhere in the fine print or product specs somewhere that you most likely need to also buy their action screws if replacing a plastic stock. Like you said, I have a bunch of different length ones laying around now. Good luck with it.

Always good when a plan comes together!!

Pretty sure it says in the text there under *Must Read* about bottom metal components...

Sounds like you are set though for life!!