Thread: Wood stock modification

COplains

Wood stock modification

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. Has anyone tried the 'ebony' staining process here? I'm thinking I would like to try it on one of my stocks. Most of the information I can find is from 3-4 years ago if not longer. Any newer info would be great. Thanks, kb

I tried to do a forend cap once using stain, but had a difficult time controlling bleed-thru into the part of the forend I didn't want stained. I finally just ended up staining the whole stock dark.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

mazda3gun
    The pictures don't do justice, but check out my thread in Picture Post: first time refinish/upgrade. I refinished my whole stock with 1 coat ebony stain and 3 coats satin rattle can poly.

If you're only wanting to the fore end cap like Hotolds mentioned, ignore my post. I have no clue how to do it. Best guess would be to use a latex type paint to paint a thin line to separate the stains to achieve the desired affect.

There's a thread directly related to this, can't remember the title though.

COplains
    mazda...that is very close to what I'm after. In fact, me thinks that will achieve the desired result. SOCNET has a thread/pic of an M1 done with the homemade stain procedure, vinigar, steel wool, etc. Fairly involved but looks great. I want the stock to still show some grain so looks like your method will do just fine. Thanks much, kb

p.s. Of course I saw your post awhile back, dipped if I could remember where, figures it would be right in front of me.

COplains
    good grief...mazda, what brand of stain did you use? was it a stain/finish mix (min-wax) or a stand alone stain? kb

COplains
    The finished product will have a straight flute PTG SS bolt, a 26" SS straight flute barrel from a Model 12, SS trigger guard and sling studs, bolt handle will have a SS end piece on a black matte lower handle. The reciever is an older 110 long action with the lighter finish to it. With the blackend stock, thought it ought to be fairly striking when done. If it all works, its a 308 someday...laffin. kb

The bolt handle and trigger guard will look good with the contrasts. I'm sort of doing the same thing on the 6.5x284 that my son is having me build for him. The camera flash doesn't do it justice.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

COplains
    hotolds....i like it. makes me think i'm on the right path.

Oh you definitely are. I need a trigger guard, fluted bolt body, and bolt handle for this one and it's done.

mazda3gun
    I used a separate stain, got it from Wally World. I think it was Min-Wax, yellow can anyway. It was the 'Ebony' colored stain. Then used outdoor grade satin poly from a rattle can on the shelf next to the stain. I used a foam brush to apply the stain.
    It looks absolutely sexy! Like I said, the pictures won't do it justice. I can't find proper lighting situations that translate well enough to this here electronic mind machine(aka computer) for you to really see how it came through.

By the way, DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN TO "speed up" THE DRYING PROCESS!!!!!! I did this because it was so cold outside where I was working, but ended up just being patient. The heat tried to pull out the stain, I could see it beading up and had to wipe it off. But, when I cleared it, the heat gun was ok to use from a distance. It tried turning satin into gloss lol.