Thread: scope base mounting question

Basic Member

scope base mounting question

I removed the scope & base (Weaver 20MOA) off one of my 308's to move to another rifle. While doing so, I noticed that the base screws were not really that tight, just decently snug. I had used blue Loctite when I installed that base too. So before putting things together on the second rifle, I'm wondering where I went wrong.
    I had put a drop on each screw as it was being installed. I tightened them down and never thought about it again.
    Should I have put the Loctite on the screws earlier and let it set up before installing screws?
    Should I have torqued them more from the beginning? Torque spec????
    I don't want to make the same mistake twice, as there's no way to go back and retighten the base screws without removing the scope.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

I use Ken Farrell bases and they suggest 25in/lbs on the front screw and 30in/lbs on the rest.

Are you shooting high yardage,just wondering why a 20 moa mount.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

He shoots F-TR, our local matches are only 500 Meters, but Houston is a short 2:30 away and they have 1000yd there. Texas Solo is definitely good enough to go compete there as well.
    Last edited by shoalwater; 02-18-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Basic Member
    I noticed enough heat off the front of the receiver after a fast string one day to wonder if the blue loctite in the scope base screws might melt out from over the barrel threads.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    He shoots F-TR, our local matches are only 500 Meters, but Houston is a short 2:30 away and they have 1000yd there. Texas Solo is definitely good enough to go compete there as well.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Shoalwater. Those 1000 matches at Bayou are the reason for buying this new rifle.
    Just got it today, lots of work to do. Hope to make Houston in a few months.

pinsnscrews...F Class is like slow motion. I never heat up a barrel that bad. But it is an interesting thought. thanks.

I'm of the opinion that cleaning solvents have a way of "creeping" in under the mounts and probably act as a lubricant/ loosener--just my suspicion.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Yeah, I would find the torque specs for your base. While your putting your base on a new rifle, have you given thought to bedding the base?
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_Erudite View Post
    Yeah, I would find the torque specs for your base. While your putting your base on a new rifle, have you given thought to bedding the base?
    Bedding the base? Never heard of that. I think it's safe to put faith in the machine work of the base though.

Torque specs very a lot, depending on who you listen too. I did my usual 2 clicks of the wrist, with the Loctite, but then checked it with a torque wrench. It was at 15 inch pounds. I took it up to 17. Too afraid of snapping off the 6-48 screws to go tighter. I'll remove the scope and check it after 100 rounds or so.

Basic Member
    have you given thought to bedding the base?
    BINGO! We have a winner.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Personally I always use Red loctite on my base screws. It isn't that difficult to remove them later on if need be. A few seconds of heat from a small propane/butane torch right on the screw heads will loosen up the Loctite. Make sure the holes in the receiver are clean, if there's some solvent in the threads the Loctite won't set up, seen that happen a few times.
    US Army Military Police Veteran, NRA Life Member

Another vote for bedding the base, the base is usually nice and straight, its the action that could be off plenty more than a few thousandths.

Basic Member
    Ditto Az. That's what it took for mine to stay tight. I suspect those Weaver screws too?

Basic Member
    Use good screws and you don't need any loctite.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Bedding the base? Never heard of that. I think it's safe to put faith in the machine work of the base though.
    Here is one way to bed a base, though this method permanently attaches the base to the action. You could simply apply some Kiwi neutral shoe wax to the action so that it isn't permanent. Here is a video on bedding a base.
    Last edited by Geo_Erudite; 02-19-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Basic Member
    Here is one way to bed a scope, though this method permanently attaches the base to the action. You could simply apply some Kiwi neutral shoe wax to the action so that it isn't permanent. Here is a video on bedding a base.
    Ya beat me to it!

Instead of using the mount screws I made a bunch of these....

Apply the wax(Kiwi or Johnson's) on the shanks and threads then turn them in the holes. I rarely glue the mount(s) to a receiver, I have but in most instances it not needed.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Very good idea Bill,, I'l have to see if I can create a few studs like that for the next time I bed a base.

Regards,
    Dan