Thread: Article: How to: Ejector Install and Removal

Article: How to: Ejector Install and Removal

204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Great information,
    Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

silverduck
    Dennis,
    Thank you for the demo, very professional .
    I appreciate that you sent me the kits[to replace the lost ones]You will get my business in the future!
    Take care, Michael

silverduck,

I wish I could take credit for the demo, but bootsmcguire takes that credit.

I am glad you received the kits.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Very good info, thanks.

OldSoldier97
    Again, just like the extractor, great, simple and a lot shorter than the YouTube explanation videos. Thank You!
    Now to decide what Magnum caliber to start with :)

Very helpful. Thanks.

C7AR15
    I have been on this site 2 minutes and found an excellent answer, with pictures, colored arrows and a great fix to my problem Thanks for your hard work in putting this together JD

Basic Member
    Instead of using fired brass to depress the ejector I put a 1/4 inch drive socket in the bolt head and put it in a vise. This gives two hands free.Only works on 308 heads.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog2062 View Post
    Instead of using fired brass to depress the ejector I put a 1/4 inch drive socket in the bolt head and put it in a vise. This gives two hands free.Only works on 308 heads.
    You could also use a pc of 45ACP brass in that situation.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

toppert
    Thank you very much!!!

savage2014
    great info, thank you very much

Basic Member
    Thanks, great for future referance, I"ll need it soon, Paul

Basic Member
    Well, I said future referance, guess what happened to me/my rifle today? I really do appreciate it now!

Basic Member
    Very helpful article, and if I may be so bold, I'd like to add some detail that will greatly increase odds of a successful install, and not end up with a damaged retainer pin stuck in the bolt head...don't ask me how I know.

To start with, get your hands on a 1/16" pin punch or drill bit, and a cartridge case. Note that the pictured bolt head is a right eject style, for a left eject you'll be doing the opposite that I describe.

In general, you want to install the retainer pin starting on the side of the bolt that the ejector hole is located. On the pictured bolt head, this would be on the side with the machined flat however, on a left ejecting head, the flat is on the same side as the picture, but the retainer pin would be installed opposite the flat.

Assemble the ejector and spring as shown. Snap a cartridge case into the head and pull it straight, compressing the spring and ejector. I am right handed so I hold the bolt in my left hand and use my index finger to hold the cartridge against the spring.
    Slide the 1/16 punch or drill bit into the retainer hole starting on the side opposite the flat. Push it through to the opposite side. It should almost, but not quite protrude from the head. You can remove the cartridge case at his point as it's job is done.
    Now slide the retainer pin into the head from the flat side as shown in the picture, and tap it in using a suitable driver such as a small hammer, driving the drill bit or pin punch out the opposite side as you go.
    Again, if working on a left ejecting head, work from the opposite side as in the picture.

This method will insure that the ejector is deep enough and is not cocked in the bolt head, causing the retainer pin to become damaged while tapping in. It'll also keep parts from flying all over the shop. Don't ask....

Question?? I have a 10/110 predator hunter max 1 in .223, I'm having Ejection problems. I pull the bolt back and the spent shell just lays on top of the mag...Extraction from the chamber is fine.. Now if yank the bolt back, like I'm tying to rip the bolt handle off.... It sometimes will Eject! All I can say is WTF... I've taken the the ejector out, cleaned it re-installed.. NO CHANGE.....Any thoughts on this???

It's probably the ejector spring, detent ball, and maybe the extractor... Savage is known to have rather "weak" extractors and ejectors... There is a replacement kit out there... I did that n my Axis and it is now ejecting again.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    It's probably the ejector spring, detent ball, and maybe the extractor... Savage is known to have rather "weak" extractors and ejectors... There is a replacement kit out there... I did that n my Axis and it is now ejecting again.
    It's to bad that you go out , buy a new rifle and the first thing you have to do is replace parts. Down right suck. I will say I like the trigger and it's a tack driver. It would be nice if it was a reliable rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Timberking 1955 View Post
    It's to bad that you go out , buy a new rifle and the first thing you have to do is replace parts. Down right suck. I will say I like the trigger and it's a tack driver. It would be nice if it was a reliable rifle..
    It will be.... Just gotta get the kinks worked out... Once you get it right, it'll be "good to go"... Funny story for you... I just bought a brand new 2017 RAM 1500 that I've put just over 2000 miles on.... (haven't even made my first payment yet) I have to take it in to the shop to have them fix the driver side passenger door handle (on the inside) as it's already trying to pop out of the door assembly.... You'd think that it would be perfect from top to bottom for what they cost these days...

Basic Member
    Two thing you can do. Get an improved extractor kit from Sharp Shooters Supply https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

and replace the extractor steel ball with a .140. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...or-detent-ball

These mods will help however, the real issue is that once the 223 cartridge case mouth exits the breech, it slams against the bolt abutment (frequently denting the case on the sharp corner) and it is this jarring that causes the extractor to let go. Moving the bolt rearward quicker helps, as you've noticed, but the heavy spring on the ejector and weak extractor spring are big factors. You can clip a loop or two off the ejector spring too and see if that improves the ejection.

I removed the ejector from my 223 for target use. Made more sense than constantly chasing my carefully prepared brass. If going hunting, I simply put it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Two thing you can do. Get an improved extractor kit from Sharp Shooters Supply https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

and replace the extractor steel ball with a .140. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...or-detent-ball

These mods will help however, the real issue is that once the 223 cartridge case mouth exits the breech, it slams against the bolt abutment (frequently denting the case on the sharp corner) and it is this jarring that causes the extractor to let go. Moving the bolt rearward quicker helps, as you've noticed, but the heavy spring on the ejector and weak extractor spring are big factors. You can clip a loop or two off the ejector spring too and see if that improves the ejection.

I removed the ejector from my 223 for target use. Made more sense than constantly chasing my carefully prepared brass. If going hunting, I simply put it back in.
    Texas10, Thanks for all the good info. I took the ejector out of the bolt, cleaned and polished. Then it worked about 1/2 the time. Was searching the internet and found a couple of old posts, Saying some brass ejected better than other's. Due to the thickness of the rim". I put it to the test over the weekend. Winchester, Remington 2 out of 5 would lay in the action. PCM 1 out of 5 . Switch to Federal and Lake City 5 out of 5 ... I'll see how it works out in the long run..
    What part of Texas are you in? Lipan here

Quote Originally Posted by Timberking 1955 View Post
    Texas10, Thanks for all the good info. I took the ejector out of the bolt, cleaned and polished. Then it worked about 1/2 the time. Was searching the internet and found a couple of old posts, Saying some brass ejected better than other's. Due to the thickness of the rim". I put it to the test over the weekend. Winchester, Remington 2 out of 5 would lay in the action. PCM 1 out of 5 . Switch to Federal and Lake City 5 out of 5 ... I'll see how it works out in the long run..
    What part of Texas are you in? Lipan here
    I had the same problem with my Savage 223 Varmint, although my parts lasted longer. I had planned on replacing the factory bolt head with a new PTG 223 precision head anyway and just ordered the Savage bolt head kit from the Gun Shack.

http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...head-parts-kit

The installation took all of 10 minutes and extraction and ejection of all brass brands is like new again - fast or slow, back to 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Praeger View Post
    I had the same problem with my Savage 223 Varmint, although my parts lasted longer. I had planned on replacing the factory bolt head with a new PTG 223 precision head anyway and just ordered the Savage bolt head kit from the Gun Shack.

http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts...head-parts-kit

The installation took all of 10 minutes and extraction and ejection of all brass brands is like new again - fast or slow, back to 100% reliable.
    Mine is NEW less that 400 rounds..

I have a problem in that my Ejector retaining pin is stuck in and will not hammer out, I am trying to tap it out from the correct side (from the side of the small hole) but it will not budge. I have tried soaking it in krill oil etc. but still it won’t budge. What would you advise that I do to remove this retainer pin?

Here's a great video that demonstrates the process in detail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3FQoZzTLY