Thread: 38-55 savage ???

NewEnglander

38-55 savage ???

Hi i have a savage model 99 in 38-55. It's been passed down to me from grand father to dad to me and i have 1 question. It has a octagon barrel and i have never seen any other model 99 with one, i cant get any real numbers of this gun because they have all worn off or un readable so i dont know the year. Did they come with these octagon barrels and if so to what year so i can hope to track down the age of this rifle. it is inpretty good condition.

Uncle Jack

Re: 38-55 savage ???

Do not. Repeat do not mess with that rifle until you have someone knowledgeable look at it. Octagon barrels are rare and 38/55 is rare too.

uj

99trix

The octagon barrel is an 1899B model. It was available in 38-55 from 1903 - 1915. If it has a square back bolt with a rectangular pin on the bolt it was made before 1909. If it has a round back bolt with the cocking indicator on the tang in front of the screws it was made between 1909 and 1915. Rare no, uncommon yes. The serial number will be on the underside of the receiver in front of the lever. If that is unreadable savage stamped all of the parts with the serial numbers so it will be on the forestock, butt stock and butt plate. If you post the serial number with the last 2 digits as x's someone here will date it for you.

Uncle Jack

Rare versus uncommon?? Picky, picky, picky!

uj

NewEnglander

thanks for narrowing down the years inow know it was built before 1909 because of the bolt. the rifle is what i learned on and still gets fired 5 or 6 times a year and i took a white tail with it in vermont 2 years ago.it is in good condition for being as old as it is, what do they usualy go for?

Eric in NC

Well - not being able to see any markings on it would indicate that it isn't in "good shape" even for a pre 1909 gun. Can you post some pics? That would help a lot.

NewEnglander

possibly at the end of this month when i can get back to my house. iam in indiana at the moment and the rifle is in storage back in vermont. College is such a hassel.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.