Thread: Bullet length on my Axis

Team Savage

Bullet length on my Axis

Well, I have tried to start looking to set the length of my bullets to my Axis. I've "checked" the length two different ways. Making a jig with a brass rod and measuring the distance from the bolt face to a seated bullet. And, taking a casing and modifying the bullet fit to make it snug, but not tight and closing the bolt. Both methods were within a few thousands........but they seem to be very long. I'm using Sierra Matchking 69gr HPBT and the COL is checking 2.395". Is that a length I should expect?

I've checked and rechecked both methods!!

Thanks,
    Joe

Jay24bal
    Both my Axis rifles (.223 and .308) have pretty long throats. I use the exact same bullet in my .223 and load mine to 2.29. On my .223, I measured 2.35 on mine. After playing around, I got the best results when seated to 2.29, so I stuck with that.

Basic Member
    Bullet jump can certainly make some difference in accuracy, and it is one of the things a reloader should investigate in the search for best accuracy. But, there is no "magic number", like ".003 off the lands". Some rifles shoot best with the bullet seated touching the lands; others do best with a considerable gap, and some don't seem to care at all as long as the round goes in the chamber. Once you find the best COL with your pet load in your rifle, the numbers will have no relevance for the next guy. All rifles are individuals.

StandingTall
    I have a Savage Axis in .223, and unless you're doing precision target shooting for competition, the COL in the Sierra manual should work just fine. I'm shooting Sierra 65gr SBT GameKing using the COL in the manual and I'm getting MOA easily. That's all I need for hunting and general target shooting.

steveNChunter
    I load that exact bullet in my .223 Axis. I load it at 2.400" and that is .008" off the lands in my rifle. Most of my groups are under 0.3" center-to-center at 100 yards. I'm using Varget and CCI BR-4 primers.

Team Savage
    Steve,

Are you running about 24.5gr-25.0gr of varget? I'm running at 24.7gr.

steveNChunter
    I'm at 25.5 grains. 26.0 gr compressed is a max load in my manual at an OAL of 2.260". The longer OAL lowers pressure a little so it's a mild load IMO. I load for top accuracy with velocity numbers taking a backseat so I don't see a need to push it any harder than where I find peak accuracy. 25.5 gr was actually the first load I tried.

steveNChunter
    This was the second group I shot at 100 yards when first testing this load. The rifle only had 20 rounds on it at the time, not even broken in good. I was shooting off bags.

Team Savage
    Very nice! I'll work on a few different loads this weekend

steveNChunter
    Let us know how it turns out