Thread: Rifling types

n4ue

Rifling types

OK, I've purchased some aftermarket barrels and it seems everyone claims their method of rifling is the best. I don't understand how the folks 'cutting' rifling can claim their methods produce the 'smoothest' bbls. I DO understand that cut bbls are usually lapped, so that may be the reason...? It would seem pulling a Carbide Button through the bbl would be the best method. Hammer forging seems to have a lot of benefits/drawbacks.......
    I do understand that 'button' rifling may put some stress in the bbl as the button is pulled through.

The reason I bring this up is that I bought a new rifle Saturday. It is a .22 LR Marlin (gasp!). Bolt action, SS, tube magazine. It's not my only Marlin, but it's 'out of box' accuracy was pretty awesome. It has the "microgroove" bbl.
    Marlin still makes some high power rifles with "microgroove" rifling...... Anyone have a 30-30 with a "microgroove" bbl?

ron

Basic Member
    I don't know about the new"microgroove rifling" but the original would loose accuracy if you didn't keep it clean on the centerfire ctgs. Never heard anything good/bad about the rimfire. The differance between guilding metal(most centerfire) vs. lead/coated lead, the rimfire probably didn't have had a leading problem unless you rapid fired alot. The only centerfire calibers that I remember with micro groove rifling were .44 & .30-30, there may have been more.

Poor Shot
    I have a Marlin model 336C .30-30 lever action that I got new for Christmas in the late 1950's when I was about 10 years old. It has the 'microgroove' rifling which I think was a fairly new idea then. The grooves were barely visible then and look the same now, and still as shiny as new. I also have a new Marlin model 1895 .45-70 lever action that has the microgrooves. I have not shot it yet.

Basic Member
    Hay,Poor shot ; Have you shot it enough between "GOOD cleanings" to tell if accuracy degrades ?

Poor Shot
    Quote Originally Posted by scpaul View Post
    Hay,Poor shot ; Have you shot it enough between "GOOD cleanings" to tell if accuracy degrades ?
    As for the .45-70, I have not shot it yet. The .30-30 has an interesting history. I had it from the late 1950's (in the western part of Virginia) until about 1972 when I sold it to a friend in Richmond, Virginia for $70. A few years later he took it with him to Johnson City, Tennessee, and sold it to his cousin for $70. A few more years passed and the rifle was sold again to another cousin in Mobile, Alabama, for $70. In 2005 (give or take a year or two) I went back to Richmond to see my friend and found that the cousin in Alabama had come to Richmond a couple of years earlier and brought the rifle with him and my friend bought it back for $70. While I was there, he asked me if I wanted it back so I bought the same rifle back for $70. As for how it shoots, I haven't shot it since I had it the first time and as I remember, it always shot a little low and to the left but I learned to adjust for it and hit what I aimed at. It never seemed to change though. This doesn't help you much does it?

Basic Member
    Although proponents of all different types of rifling make some good arguments for their favorites, the fact is that excellent barrels can be made with any method out there. While one method may have theoretical advantages over another, the main difference always lies in the execution, not the method.

It's sort of like the age-old "Chevy vs. Ford" arguments -- advocates of each will swear by their choice, and have their reasons for loyalty, but if you get an example of either built on a Monday morning, all bets are off.

aquaticsanonymous
    Good question, and I don't have an answer for you. Marlin has their micro groove, Savage boasts button rifling, and then there is the whole 5r debate.

Hillbilly
    My Dad hated 30-30s ,He used to say that he would rather hunt with a 12 gauge and punkin balls,so as a kid I never had one,but one morning I was listing to the radio and heard a guy advertising a 336 with scope for $150 this was probally about 15 years ago.It had no checkering,but it had a gold trigger,and microgroove barrel.It was an old gun the guy I got if from said that he got it years ago and that it was used then.it had a Tasco that had a square field of view,and that gun shot really good at 100 yards.I didn't really have any use for it though,and traded it off in a couple years..I've got another micro groove Marlin here and it's really a good shooter.I took a picture of the barrel..I think that all microgroove Marlins have gold triggers,but I may be wrong..