Thread: Stevens 44 ??

Team Savage

Stevens 44 ??

Anybody convert one into a "center fire"?
    Just saw where the barrel on one was relined and thought it would be nice converted to center fire.
    Anybody know if the action is strong enough for a 17 or 20 Fireball or 20 VT?
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 02-14-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    From the information I have on the 44 it does not sound like it is a strong enough action for any modern centerfire, but I am not familiar with the rounds you mentioned. Stevens offered a version in 22 Hornet for a very short time and reports I have heard say the action would soon loosen up. The 44 action was offered in calibers up to 32-40 but nothing of real high performance; I have not heard of any problems with those. They also offered a slightly different version in 38-55 but I do not know how well they held up either. The version for the 38-55's had a curved extension on the front of the hammer that slid into the breech block that helped hold the 'swinging' breech block up - very similar to a rolling block action.

Added - I found this that talks about the 44 action & 22 Hornet - http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...m=1200267946/0
    Last edited by Sav22; 02-16-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Team Savage
    Thanks for your input. I read something (on the same forum) about a hole being drilled in the side of the action on a 44 in case of an over pressure load. Sounds like some of the later models might be a little stronger? Still digging into this to see what I can find.
    I know nothing about the early Stevens rifles but was thinking one would be fun converted to center fire if the action was strong enough.
    Thanks again, Mike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.