Thread: Shilen barrel vs McGowan

Basic Member

Shilen barrel vs McGowan

I have only used Shilen and Krieger, how does the McGowan shoot, have you had both in same caliber to compare

D.ID
    I can not compare but I can say I have two:#1= .25 moa with extensive load work up. #2=.4 moa with throw and go handloads using almost no work up. Don't know if that helps but for what it's worth.

Basic Member
    Good question.

But from what I've read, those three are all good. Each barrel is it's own "person" and will shoot well or very well. Probabley 99% of them shoot better than all factory barrels and all clean easier. I am quite sure none of those will be able to realistically claim they are always better than the next.

Maybe go with whomever has in stock what you want or go with a retailer who has served you well in the past, etc.

I really like my McGowen in .260AI. Tight chamber and getting almost .25" in initial load testing.

seanhagerty
    Anyone want to add info on Criterion barrels here as well? How do they compare?

I have a Criterion in 6.5-284 on a plain factory Stevens long action. It will shoot .25-.3 moa out to 600 yards so far. I haven't had a chance to take it past that range yet.

I have a shilen 243 wssm, mcgowan 243, and a criterion 243. All will easily shoot 1/2", but so will a few factory barrels and one factory barrel on a striker is the best I have. Out of the three after markets the heavy sporter criterion shoots the best. But, they all satisfy me. I am not a one hole benchrest guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Good question.

But from what I've read, those three are all good. Each barrel is it's own "person" and will shoot well or very well. Probabley 99% of them shoot better than all factory barrels and all clean easier. I am quite sure none of those will be able to realistically claim they are always better than the next.

Maybe go with whomever has in stock what you want or go with a retailer who has served you well in the past, etc.

I really like my McGowen in .260AI. Tight chamber and getting almost .25" in initial load testing.
    foxx, has probably made the best statement concerning barrels. Actions, stocks, and triggers will also make a difference in your groups.

Take care every one,

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    I have 2 CBI barrels one in .243 win. that will shoot through 30 caliber holes at 100yds using 105 hybrids in a 1-8" twist. The other is a 6.5X284 that has shot a .274 outside to outside 5-shot group at 100 yds.

6.5labs
    I have had great luck with shillen. but i have to agree with foxx. The difference between the three is probably non existent.

I have all three including a pac-nor. The pac-nor shoots awesome and the other three are about the same although my mcgowens shoot really decent and much easier to get at the mcgowen outlet.I lean towards the mcgowens in the long run.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!