Thread: Inherited a 224 TTH

Mertenspro

Inherited a 224 TTH

I recently inherited a 224 TTh. I don't have any experience with the wildcat but I have done some research and found the Pro's and cons. I see a lot of guys talking they burned their barrel out after 1000 rounds or more. I'll assure you I won't shoot that many rounds through this rifle but it has my attention and I want to do something with it! Like coyotes at 400 yds. I didn't get any info with the gun but here is what I know: its a Savage 110 long action, 1:9 twist(best I can measure), with fluted barrel(no name on it with a two letter and 4 digit serial number), and what looks to like a Remington stock with the barrel glass bedded. What do you all think? input please!!! Does anyone have some dies and/or brass? Thanks

I have one. Hornady has dies for it, Hornady also list reloading data in their #9 manual. My barrel is 1/8 twist I have not worked any loads as of yet, I purchased my from a member on the forum.

Brass is 6mm Remington which seams to little hard to find these days.

Has for being a barrel burner, I can't see any difference from 224TTH or shooting a 220 Swift.
    Don't need to run full bore max loads. Even if you start to lose a little accuracy from the barrel, you could have it setback 1/2" cut a new chamber and a way you go again.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sounds like a nice gun, although I'm not sure it's possible to fit a Savage action to a Remington stock. A 6mm Remington Lee collet die with a 22 cal collet installed will be your easiest method for neck sizing the brass, short of finding a set of TTH dies somewhere. With the faster twist barrel you have, running in the neighborhood of 70 grain bullets with lower than maximum powder charges should result in a lot better barrel life than 1000 rounds.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

claysshotgunner
    I looked everywhere trying to find 224 TTH dies. No one had any or had plans to make any. But, I really want one. lol

The 22-6mm is essentially the same thing. Very slight difference
    or some people say exactly the same. So, I bought 22-6mm Hornady dies.

The brass is very easy to make. You take a 6mm Remington case, put it in the die and neck it to 22. That is all you do. The problem is finding the 6mm Remington brass.

Mertenspro
    Thanks for all the info!!! I'm sure your right about the Savage action in a Remington stock, although they look really similar!! I'm sure I'm in for a lot of headaches with getting this firearm set up and ready to go but it should be interesting to say the least!!! I'll look into Hornady again, the last time I looked on their sight, they weren't making specific custom dies, but hope they have the 22-6 dies still in stock!!! The brass is yet another challenge like you state, but I was in a Sportsman Warehouse yesterday and they had loaded 6mm Remington ammo in 100 gr core-lok. I was under the assumption that you couldn't get loaded 6mm ammo any more? If you hear of any out there please let me know, and like-wise on my end!!!

Another part of this I want to change is the trigger! I tested it and it started out at 4 3/4 -5 1/2 lb. I backed the set screw off as much as possible without it falling it out and at its best I got 3 1/4 - 4 ish lbs!!!! There is virtually no creep. On that note, what's my options with the limitations to this trigger or what's a good set up. I would like to trim it down to 2 lbs., or less if I choose to!!! Thanks again

claysshotgunner
    I bought my 22-6 dies on ebay. Brand new.

Here are some on ebay now. There may be others. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornady-Seri...item51b9f5177f