Thread: Boyds Prairie Hunter stock.

Boyds Prairie Hunter stock.

Last night I picked up a Savage 11 FCNS 7MM08 ACS DBM SYN. It is going to be a hunter class silhouette rifle. I don't like the accustock so I ordered a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock.

The replacement stock is listed at 2.8#, I'm wondering what my accustock weighs in at? I don't have my tools handy so I can't pull the current stock off to check. Any idea what the accustock weighs?
    Last edited by Szumi; 02-15-2014 at 03:28 AM.

David_4
    Mine is about 41 oz.

I should be good. I thank you for the info.

Here it is with the new stock.

David_4
    Looks sweet!

Basic Member
    Very nice indeed

romad97
    Szumi. I just sent you a PM about the inletting for the bottom metal on this. I just received my boyds TH stock today and the bottom metal is nowhere near close. Mine is a top bolt release though. I was just wondering if yours was a good fit or if it required some modification.

Quote Originally Posted by romad97 View Post
    Szumi. I just sent you a PM about the inletting for the bottom metal on this. I just received my boyds TH stock today and the bottom metal is nowhere near close. Mine is a top bolt release though. I was just wondering if yours was a good fit or if it required some modification.
    It was a drop in. Bottom metal fit looks good to me.
    Last edited by Szumi; 02-25-2014 at 06:15 PM.

COplains
    I really like the result, when you ordered it, what 'custom' features did you add, if any? I have a blind mag LA, so most features make no difference with respect to looks. Thanks, kb

Quote Originally Posted by COplains View Post
    I really like the result, when you ordered it, what 'custom' features did you add, if any? I have a blind mag LA, so most features make no difference with respect to looks. Thanks, kb
    I didn't add a single option. I was tempted to go for a longer LOP by paying for a thicker recoil pad but I'm going to try shooting it off hand first and see what tweaks I want to make as I gain experience with it.

sales@boydsgunstocks
    Just a note - all of Boyds' standard stocks come with 13 3/4" LOP - regardless of what size pad you put on - it is always going to be 13 3/4" unless you select a different LOP.

Whatever LOP you select will be what you receive (again regardless of pad selection)

~ Jen

Quote Originally Posted by sales@boydsgunstocks View Post
    Just a note - all of Boyds' standard stocks come with 13 3/4" LOP - regardless of what size pad you put on - it is always going to be 13 3/4" unless you select a different LOP.

Whatever LOP you select will be what you receive (again regardless of pad selection)

~ Jen
    That is good to know. I was a bit uncertain about that when I looked at your options. Some time soon my Ruger M77 MKII will be getting one of your Prairie Hunter stocks. I'll let you put a cushy recoil pad on that one. .338 WM.

David_4
    Sure wish Boyd's would do a 13" LOP with a 1" pad, it get's old cutting stocks and grinding pads.

Quote Originally Posted by David_4 View Post
    Sure wish Boyd's would do a 13" LOP with a 1" pad, it get's old cutting stocks and grinding pads.
    Yeah, I wish they went all the way down to 12 1/4" LOP, but there probably isn't enough demand in the market for such an option.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

David_4
    Having worked in a very high volume gun store for over 8 years, I know the demand is there. Most people don't know how a gunstock should really fit and they make due with the manufacturers compromise length of pull. That LOP is usually a youth length at about 12 1/2" to 12 3/4" or an adult length between 13 1/2" and 14".

I'm a bit over 5'7" tall and the LOP I like is 13", it works well if I am hunting with an insulated jacket on or in a tee short. 13 1/2" is too long for me with an insulated jacket but I can make due with a tee shirt.

Boyd's goes from 12 3/4" with a 1/2" pad and 14 3/4" with a 1" pad. I don't know anyone that want's a 1/2" pad on a rifle that has even moderate recoil, if they like to shoot. Even a moderate recoiling rifle hurts after a while at the bench with a 1/2" pad.

I understand you can't please everyone but I know there are more people that truly need a 13" LOP than need a 14 3/4" LOP.

David_4
    I was kinda looking for a reply from Boyd's about the LOP comments.