I had a lot of POI repeatability issues on the rifle and couldn't get the scope to zero without using up all the windage adjustment (which really degraded optical quality). After several attempts to fix the various obvious detail items I could find and still not getting it right, I took it to a regionally respected smith with experience working on LEO and competition rifles. They put the action in a jig and found the mount holes to be offline by .0018".

I thought about it for a bit and resolved to send it back to Savage.

I called Savage today for a checkup since it's been about 3 weeks and the CSR said they sent it back a couple days ago. They claim that the action is fine and the problem they found (whatever that may have been: the CSR didn't say) was in the barrel, so they re-barrelled it and sent it back.

It will arrive at the gunsmith's place around Wednesday. The gunsmith doesn't understand how they could arrive at their conclusion since he put the action in a jig, not the barrel, and found the holes to be off. I'm going to wait to see their official report and assume the CSR doesn't have all the facts in front of him.

I'm starting to get that "tired of this" feeling, but really hope this thing comes back good to go.